Cuisine at home Forums
Christmas Cookies - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Christmas Cookies (/showthread.php?tid=25785)

Christmas Cookies - wheatleyp1 - 11-28-2006

Does anyone have a good recipe for traditional Christmas Sugar Cookies? The kind you roll out and use a cookie cutter with. I usually have a terrible time with these. The dough does not roll out and it crumbles and breaks. I would like to try it again this year.

Re: Christmas Cookies - pjcooks - 11-28-2006

wheatleyp1, I'm going to try and link you. If it doesn't work, there's a discussion around page 10, 11 or 12 on this.

HTH. I also hope this works.

Nope, guess someone more computer savy than I will link you. Anyways, it's on page 10-maybe 11 or 12 depending upon posts here. It's titled Best Sugar Cookies.

PJ

Re: Christmas Cookies - cjs - 11-28-2006

Here you go - the link to the conversation we had.

http://www.forums.cuisineathome.com/ubbt...=true#Post24735

Re: Christmas Cookies - pjcooks - 11-28-2006

Thank you, Jean!

PJ

Re: Christmas Cookies - dollop - 11-29-2006

Here is another wonderful recipe!

Celebration Sugar Cookies adapted from “Big Fat Cookies “

Pre-heat oven to 375*

2 3/4 c flour
½ c cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c butter -- at room temperature
½ c shortening
1 c sugar
1 egg
2 tsps vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract (optional, in my opinion)

Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
Set aside.
Cream the butter, shortening, and sugar until smooth, about 1 minute.
Add the egg and extracts and mix until blended, about 1 minute.
Add the flour on low speed and mix until just incorporated.
Divide dough in half and form it into 2 smooth disks about 6 inches in diameter.
Wrap disks in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. (don't leave it in too long or it will get too hard)
Roll out dough to 3/16 inch thick.
Cut out cookies and transfer to parchment lined baking sheets.
Decorate with colored sugars and sprinkles.
Place into pre-heated oven and drop temperature to 350*
Bake until bottoms are lightly browned, about 14 minutes at 350*.
Cool cookies on baking sheets for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
The cookies can be layered between sheets of waxed paper and stored in a tightly covered container for up to 1 week.

Source: adapted from “Big Fat Cookies “
Important note: I also used powdered sugar instead of flour for dusting my board and would never go back to dusting with flour.
Delicious recipe with a buttery taste! This dough is easy to work with and produces a cross between a sugar cookie and a shortbread cookie. The addition of shortening keeps the cookie from spreading and therefore is great for "intricate" cut outs that hold their shape.

Best Sugar Cookie Icing Recipe
Easy to work with, takes color well and does not compete with the taste of the cookie.
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (or other flavor choice)
Assorted food colorings

In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth.
Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy.
If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
Divide into separate bowls, and add food colorings to each to desired intensity.
Dip cookies, or paint them with a brush.

Description: This icing dries hard and shiny and the colors stay bright. Choose as many different food colorings as you desire. You may have to stir the icing from time-to-time and I keep mine covered with Saran.
It will take an hour or more for this icing to dry, but so worth it! The usual Royal Icing makes a very hard exterior...this recipe is pretty and easier to eat

Re: Christmas Cookies - cjs - 11-29-2006

sounds good Denise - copied.

Re: Christmas Cookies - bjcotton - 11-29-2006

I got my Holiday Cookies from CAH yesterday. Haven't checked it out though. Fredia asked me why I ordered it when I already have 2 cookie cookbooks...I don't know just because I guess. The two other CAH specials were excellent.

I have heard good things about the special cookie issue. I went to the bookstore to look through the issue and they had sold out!! They had also sold out of the King Arthur special issue. The fella stocking the magazines said the C@H publication was sold out in 3 days. Guess I need to order a few!

Re: Christmas Cookies - cjs - 11-29-2006

Oh shoot, if it's that good, how can I not order it...

I know, I know...I just wanted to take a look at it and see if I really "neeeeded" it! I guess I'll just ORDER!