Cuisine at home Forums
One more question for bread bakers - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: One more question for bread bakers (/showthread.php?tid=25975)

One more question for bread bakers - Mare749 - 12-02-2006

What is the difference between bread flour and all purpose?

Re: One more questions for bread bakers - vannin - 12-02-2006

I think the bread flour has a higher protein content, more gluten. But one of the others will be along to answer properly.

Re: One more questions for bread bakers - Mare749 - 12-03-2006

Thank you Dale, but what I really want to know is how it makes the finished product different. Does it affect the taste or the appearance?

Re: One more questions for bread bakers - farnfam - 12-03-2006

Hi Mare,
I'm really no expert,but in my experience the higher gluten bread flour gives the yeast more to work with and so bread seems to rise a bit higher and have more volume. It does seem to make a difference here, since it's a slightly higher elevation in the Adirondaks.
If you work with both, in time you'll have a preference in taste, texture and over all looks of the bread. In the end, I guess it's going to be whatever works best for you, but I prefer the bread flour results.
Hope you try and enjoy the garlic bread YUM
Cis

Re: One more questions for bread bakers - abaker - 12-04-2006

You will find that bread flour gives you a much lighter texture than all-purpose flour.
I am looking for a lost recipe for dinner rolls that was in the April 2005 issue on page 41. Do any of you have that one that you could send me?

Re: One more questions for bread bakers - Mare749 - 12-04-2006

Thanks for the input everyone, and welcome abaker!

If you don't get a reply to your request, you might want to post it as a question where more people will view it. Someone always comes along with an answer that way.

Join us often, there are very nice people on this forum.

Maryann