Cuisine at home Forums
Balsamic Glaze - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Balsamic Glaze (/showthread.php?tid=26555)

Balsamic Glaze - Lyndee - 12-18-2006

I see in one of Jean's threads that you are all talking about Crema di Balsamico. The commercial one I use is by Casa Rinaldi ( Italy) but I do make my own glaze for steak, vegetables, tomatos and salad greens.

Put into a saucepan 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Bring to boil and simmer 6 to 8 minutes or slightly thickened and syrupy. Can be used hot over meats or cool to spoon over salad/vegetables.

Looking at the Crema bottle, the ingredients are simple. Concentrated grape must ( which I dont have access to!!), balsamic vinegar ( 20% only??), modified starch and antioxidant. Hmmmm.
I have used my glaze very sucessfully on strawberries when I have not had the ' proper' stuff about. Also on occasion, I have further reduced it to intensify.
Give it a go.

Re: Balsamic Glaze - Mare749 - 12-19-2006

Thanks Lyndee, I will. This sounds fantastic!
Maryann

Re: Balsamic Glaze - Lorraine - 12-19-2006

I buy a commercial glaze called "Blaze" from Modena (can't remember what the brand name is). I recently purchased a few bottles of the Crema, but gave most of them away as gifts. I've made my own a few times, but have to confess, I had a hard time getting the right consistency. Too runny or balsamic tar.

Re: Balsamic Glaze - cjs - 12-19-2006

I reduce Balsamic quite often also, but I haven't added b. sugar - hmmmm, Lyn, will have to try the addition.

I was just curious to taste the Crema to see the taste of the product. Hopefully it's around here somewhere...

Re: Balsamic Glaze - Lyndee - 12-19-2006

Lorraine, the commercial product has modified starch ie thickener added, so you may never get the same consistency unless you add some also. I too have never had it exactly how I want it, but the flavour is great and its a lot cheaper!
The Crema is great for its ' clinging' qualities isn't it!

Re: Balsamic Glaze - DFen911 - 12-19-2006

I've always only just reduced balsamic to the thickness I want. I've never added anything to it. Balsamic is very sweet naturally, doesn't adding the sugar make it too sweet?

I made a balsamic dipping sauce last night for the foccacia bread we made in class and YUM!!

Re: Balsamic Glaze - bjcotton - 12-19-2006

I Googled it and found it available in the US. Just in case though, I'm bringing 3 bottles home with me.

Re: Balsamic Glaze - Lyndee - 12-19-2006

Quote:

I've always only just reduced balsamic to the thickness I want. I've never added anything to it. Balsamic is very sweet naturally, doesn't adding the sugar make it too sweet?

I made a balsamic dipping sauce last night for the foccacia bread we made in class and YUM!!

I use Donna Hay's recipe and she is the brown sugar freak! The added sugar is fine tho....