Cuisine at home Forums
Cheeseburger Soup - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cheeseburger Soup (/showthread.php?tid=28842)

Cheeseburger Soup - TwilightKitten - 02-11-2007

Hi, everybody! I really want to make the Cheeseburger Soup from Splendid Soups, but it has 1/4 c. flour and that's a no-no on my stupid diet. Do you think I can substitute cornstarch, and if so, how much? Thank you for any help!

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - cjs - 02-12-2007

Tammy, another way you might try is adding more potatoes - maybe one or two - than the soup calls for and remove a few when cooked and mash them up and add as a thickener.

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - TwilightKitten - 02-12-2007

Thank you both for the advice!

So, just how different will it be if I use the cornstarch?

Eh, maybe I'll cheat just a teensy bit and use the flour. I'm such a wuss when it comes to experimenting!

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - cjs - 02-12-2007

Wow, 1/4 cup flour distributed into 8 1/2 cups soup - that's a strict restriction...

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - farnfam - 02-12-2007

Hey Tammy,
Is Masa Harina allowed on your diet? I was thinking it would work as well as flour and not change the appearance really. Maybe?
Cis

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - Half_Baked - 02-12-2007

I wouldn't worry about the flour at all. The cheese and potatos would thicken it enough, imho.

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - Roxanne 21 - 02-12-2007

How about potato starch??

Wow, thanks everybody!

The diet is supposed to be NO flour, but I think maybe 1/4 cup in that whole recipe shouldn't be a big deal, right?

Masa Harina...not sure if that's allowed. I can have cornmeal but not corn flour. What would you consider masa harina?

Potato starch...is that the same as potato flour? And where might one find it?

Maybe I'll make it with flour the first time and then if I make it again, I'll experiment with the other things. Thank you again, everybody!

Re: Cheeseburger Soup - farnfam - 02-12-2007

Well now that you mention it, Harina means flour. So that's not gonna work. Sheesh, I hate even thinking about that NO flour NO sugar diet of yours Tammy LOL
Cis

LOL...yeah, I hate thinking about it too! I won't be on it forever...although it sure does feel like it!