Cuisine at home Forums
Harvesting herbs today! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Harvesting herbs today! (/showthread.php?tid=29853)

Harvesting herbs today! - Mare749 - 03-10-2007

It's only been 4 weeks and I picked about two cups of basil and about 1/2 cup of sage today from my tiny tabletop greenhouse.

The only maintenance all month was today when I had to flush the growing bed with a gallon of water to wash away the excess salt buildup, then refill the feeding reservoir, trim the herbs, and I'm good to go for another month. I should be able to pick herbs as I need them now to get me by until around Mother's Day when I can put them in the ground outside.

This has been a wonderful winter project for me since I can't grow anything. The herbs are so fragrant they make you smile!

Maryann

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - vannin - 03-10-2007

good for you Maryann, what a truly nice project.

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - DFen911 - 03-11-2007

I am so jealous!

I have rosemary growing wonderfully but everything else I've done died

They last just enough for me to get one small clipping off and then poof no more.

What a fun project and the smells must be wonderful Nothing beats fresh herbs.

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - Half_Baked - 03-11-2007

You certainly received a thoughtful gift and it's nice that all the family are now reaping the benefits!

I know your house smells wonderful.

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - foodfiend - 03-11-2007

Maryann, I think I missed your original post. What kind of tabletop greenhouse? Is ours one of those AeroGro (I think that's what they are called) units?

I am so jealous! I brought my rosemary plant in last fall, and it's doing fine in the living room, and I actually have cilantro growing outside in the coldframe, but I want fresh basil (without paying $2.99 for a couple of leaves in a little plastic case...)!

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - Mare749 - 03-12-2007

No Vicci, it's not an Aero Garden, but I sure would love to have one. This little unit came from UMI, Inc. in Westlake Village, CA. The UMI stands for Uncle Milton, the ant farm guy.

Anyway, I found a website that has two units. The one I have is now $49.99. Wow! I'm sure glad I didn't have to buy it! Mine came out of my FIL's basement and who knows where he got it. There is a smaller unit that's less. If you are interested, here is the website. Have fun shopping.
Maryann

http://www.littlesmarties.com/uncle-milton.html

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - cjs - 03-12-2007

Maryann, are the units reusable?? I may look into that just for basil in the winter months at home - plus I could take with us in the trailer.....hmmmm, great gadget!!

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - Mare749 - 03-12-2007

Yes, the units are reuseable, the growing medium (gravel) can be rinsed, and the nutrient mix which looks an awful lot like Miracle Gro will last for quite a while. The smaller unit can be purchased from target.com for $19.99, less than on the first website.

I'm going to look for a book on hydroponic gardening at the library. There has to be a cheaper way of getting started. I would think the right pot with a plastic cup over the top would work.

Maryann

Re: Harvesting herbs today! - foodfiend - 03-12-2007

Thanks for the link, Maryann. These are more reasonablly priced than the Aero unit, but perfect if you (like me) just want the basics.