Cuisine at home Forums
Exploring Salt Lake City - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Exploring Salt Lake City (/showthread.php?tid=29862)

Exploring Salt Lake City - cjs - 03-11-2007

Yesterday, we explored Salt Lake and found the greatest German deli - picked up two versions of bratwurst, couple kinds of sauerkraut, etc. Also bot an envelope for 'Gulasch' - everything is in German, so will have to find a translator site to help out. lastly, I bot a take out dish of goulash (or 'gulasch' )with spatzle for us to taste for breakfast today....but when we got back to the truck, we just had to taste it and taste it! don't think there's enuf for breakfast now...God,
it was good!!

Also found a German Bakery - you know me, if it has flour in it, I'm hooked! Picked up one of each of about 5 different breads/rolls/goodies.

THEN, a year ago when we were here, I had called the food editor of the S.L.C. newspaper to talk about the farmer's market book I want to do and she mentioned a kitchen store that she thot I really had to check out. Ran out of time that trip, but oh my, I don't think I've ever been in as nice (and huge) a one ever. And the prices were reasonable, not one of those chi-chi (?)$$$$$ places. It was kind of a cross between an upscale restaurant supply and a kitchen store. Yesterday was Tracie's b'day, so found a really great ------------------------ (I'll tell ya'all later!) - and to make sure she gets hers, I bot two!!!! Picked up some everyday goodies - plus some Maldon Salt and things like that. I really could have spent the kid's inheritance in that store.

After a day of being around all the 'gourmet' wonders, what did we come back home to for dinner???? It's in the S.A.R book - the crockpot burrito and chicken dish - talk about a junk food dinner, but it was good!!

Today, we are taking in the local home & garden show - would love to get some more ideas for the yard we're working on at home and I'm sure do some food grazing....geez, I've got to get home to my treadmill!!!

We're here until Wednesday and then on to Pasco, WA - and all the wonderful wines in that area!!!!

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - Half_Baked - 03-11-2007

That sounds like a super day, Jean. When you are traveling like this, about how long do you stay in each town?

I know we'd all love to hit a kitchen store like that!

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - Mare749 - 03-11-2007

Now that's my idea of a fun day, Jean! I'm not German, but am married to one. We would have had a field day in both the deli and the bakery.

Maryann

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - vannin - 03-11-2007

I suppose we all love delis and bakeries. The trouble is I always want every single thing I see.

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - cjs - 03-12-2007

"about how long do you stay in each town?" - depends...Roy has to put in some time working Mon & Tues., but we got here Friday, so had the weekend to play. Then we leave Wed. a.m.

Man, did we get some great ideas from the Home & Garden Show. I've been seeing pictures in magazines of the roll-away screens for doors - looked into those for the house. Some different paving stone for the front patio area, we liked.

And, the best food offering? Some folks from the Gilroy Garlic festival with all their offerings - got some garlic mustard and a garlic relish/chutney. Tasted just about everything. Fun day.

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - Mare749 - 03-12-2007

Jean, while you are in Salt Lake are you going to try opera chocolates? Saw it on the travel channel this morning, but I couldn't catch the name of the shop.

Maryann

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - cjs - 03-12-2007

darn, Maryann, where were you over the weekend????? Too late now for this trip, but I'll look them up and put a note in the Salt Lake folder.

P.S. I'm looking at my guide book and there are a couple listed - Cummings Studio Chocolates & V Chocolates....maybe next trip.

Right, after all the German deli food and the German bakery, I really need to go look for a chocolate shop....

Re: Exploring Salt Lake City - Mare749 - 03-12-2007

Jean, I watch the travel channel a lot, so I should be able to get the name of that candy store next time it's on. They said that Salt Lake City is the chocolate eating capitol of the world, so it must be good. Maybe next time.
Happy trails.

Maryann