Cuisine at home Forums
Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" (/showthread.php?tid=29869)

Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - tsorgatz - 03-11-2007

I need to bring a 9x13 dessert for an event. Can the Triple Coconut Cake recipe from the April issue be converted (doubled?) and baked in a 9x13" pan to be frosted and served from the pan? Would the recipe need to be altered? Baking time or temperature changed? I don't have a lot of time to experiment. Thanks.

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - Half_Baked - 03-11-2007

Oh, I'm sorry I don't know the answer (lol, I come here for answers) but I just wanted to welcome you to Cuisine at Home!

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - bjcotton - 03-11-2007

I have done the opposite, taken a recipe for a 9 X 13 cake and put it in three 9-inch cake pans, so I don't see why not.

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - Half_Baked - 03-11-2007

It may have been the latest Cooks Illustrated that said you could put a cake recipe (I know, 2 vs 3 layers?) in a 13x9 and add 5 minutes to the cooking time.

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - tsorgatz - 03-14-2007

I used a metal 9x13 pan and cooked 40 minutes until a toothpick came out clean. As far as the cake goes, it's ok. It tastes wonderful. I just think that this recipe works best as a loaf because it is so MOIST and pound-cake like. Thanks for your help.

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - pjcooks - 03-14-2007

Welcome!

Since this recipe can be baked into cupcakes, I guess it can go the other way. I agree with you about a little loss of texture or crumb spreading the batter so thinly.

Glad it worked out for you.(Edited to add)

Making these cupcakes tomorrow for SIL. Love the idea of raw sugar to coat the popover tins.

PJ

Re: Triple Coconut Cake -- Change to 9x13" - pjcooks - 03-17-2007

Oh, I just realized I was replying to myself. Anyways, I made these today, in Texas muffin pans. Took them out when the pick was clean, let them rest 3 min then turned them out onto a rack. I let them cool completly before frosting. They are sooo good, but they're so tender, so delicate, you really need to handle them very carefully. Since the same thing happens every single time I make CI's white cake, I wonder what it is I'm doing wrong. The good thing is, they melt in your mouth, moist and extremely light and fluffy.

So, no complaints, really, has anyone else had this experience?

PJ