Cuisine at home Forums
Oven-fried chicken... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Oven-fried chicken... (/showthread.php?tid=30323)

Oven-fried chicken... - Ron - 03-26-2007

Is there a recipe for oven-fried chicken that tastes decent? I looked at the C@H version and didn't want to mess with beating egg whites, etc. The other recipes I've tried were always drier than I'd like. I don't want a recipe that starts in oil on the stove and finishes in the oven, just a straight oven version.

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - madmax - 03-26-2007

OK Now I've got to reply to this...PPLLLEEZZZEEEE try "cjs" "Cold oil fried chicken" I swear you will not regret it, it's just amazing how good this is, sure it's kinda thinking out-side the box, but DANG it's so good . and it's just as good when it's cold !!!!

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - Ron - 03-26-2007

I've got the C@H Southern Fried Chicken down cold, but I'd really like to have a recipe without the cooking oil. Oven-fried or oven-baked is what I'm looking for - crisp, flavorful skin and moist inside.

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - pjcooks - 03-26-2007

Here's Jean's recipe, from a recent post.

Hope you don't mind me copying into this thread.

Jean's
. COLD OIL CHICKEN

Got this Recipe in the 70s ~ Willow Glen days

2/3 cup flour
1 tsp each: garlic salt & seasoned salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp each: pepper, rubbed sage, thyme leaves, & dried basil
3 cup oil (approx.)
Chicken pieces

In a bag, combine all the seasonings.

In a deep electric frying pan, pour in 1/2" of oil. Shake each piece of Chicken in flour mixture & place skin side down in the cold oil.

Cover the pan & turn to 350°. When you hear the chicken frying & sizzling loudly, set a timer & cook for 15 min.
Remove cover & turn pieces over.
Cook, uncovered for 10 min. longer or till meat next to bone is done.

I've used other pans, but really prefer the electric skillet - it is so precise.

DARE YA ALL.....

PJ

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - Mare749 - 03-26-2007

Quote:

I've got the [Email]C@H[/Email] Southern Fried Chicken down cold, but I'd really like to have a recipe without the cooking oil. Oven-fried or oven-baked is what I'm looking for - crisp, flavorful skin and moist inside.

Me too! Does anyone have one????

Maryann

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - cjs - 03-26-2007

Thank you Sweetie!! But, Ron's looking for a healthy oven-fried. O.K. Ron - here's one that my family (well maybe except madmax!!! ) thinks is the best in the world.

* Exported from MasterCook *

OVEN-FRIED CHICKEN

chicken pieces
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese -- grated
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Dash pepper
1 egg -- slightly beaten
2 T. milk

Rinse chicken; pat dry.
In a plastic bag combine all but egg & milk.
combine the egg & milk in a shallow dish.
Dip chicken in egg mix.; place chicken 2-3 pcs. at a time in plastic bag.
Shake to coat.

Place chicken, skin side up in an oven proof pan .
Bake 375 for 35 to 45 min. or till Chicken reaches 160°.

Chicken can be eaten hot or cold - either way, it's delicious!

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - Ron - 03-26-2007

That last one is getting more to where I wanted to be, but could I use APF instead of whole wheat flour? I don't do much baking. Interestingly, I received a complimentary copy of Cook's Country today and they have an oven-fried chicken recipe in there that also looks worth trying (buttermilk marinade, corn flake crust).

Thanks Jean, I forgot that you gave me that recipe already, I just had not tried it yet. Sounds good, but since I'm not wild about wheat flour, I would rather use white also. Do you use any oil at all, even a small amount on the baking sheet?

Maryann

Re: Oven-fried chicken... - foodfiend - 03-26-2007

This one is our favorite. I use the chipotle pepper and I also bake it on a rack (sprayed with cooking spray) to keep the bottom of the pieces from getting soggy. Also, I absolutely hate recipes that directs to use plastic bags to marinate or flour. Such a waste... I marinate in a large plastic container (w/ cover) and flour in a paper bag:

Oven Fried Chicken

Source: Cooking Light April 2002

Marinating in buttermilk results in tender, juicy chicken, and double breading gives a crisp crust. For a smoky taste, use ground chipotle pepper in place of the ground red pepper.

3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 chicken breast(about 1 pound), skinned
2 chicken drumsticks (about 1/2 pound), skinned
2 chicken thighs (about 1/2 pound), skinned
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Cooking spray

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine flour, salt, peppers, and cumin in a second large zip-top plastic bag. Remove chicken from first bag, discarding marinade. Add chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour; lightly coat each chicken piece with cooking spray. Return chicken, one piece at a time, to flour mixture, shaking bag to coat chicken. Remove chicken from bag, shaking off excess flour.

Place chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 35 minutes or until done, turning after 20 minutes.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 breast half or 1 thigh and 1 drumstick)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 263(15% from fat); FAT 4.4g (sat 1.2g,mono 1.1g,poly 0.9g); PROTEIN 38.4g; CHOLESTEROL 110mg; CALCIUM 73mg; SODIUM 754mg; FIBER 0.8g; IRON 2.2mg; CARBOHYDRATE 14.9g

Thanks Vicci, this one sounds good too. I'll have to get out my old copies of Cooking Light. I subscribed to it for a couple of years and have several cookbooks on my mastercook program, but have gotten away from the "lighter" lifestyle. We need to work our way toward that again.

Maryann