Cuisine at home Forums
Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? (/showthread.php?tid=30512)

Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - foodfiend - 03-31-2007

I do a lot of wok cooking. I also bought my first hard-anodized cookware (a saute pan and a saucepot) in January and love them. I found a hard-anodized circulon wok and am interested (like I really need a third wok!) because it would use a lot less oil when cooking. I baby this new cookware and so far, so good, but a wok is meant to be stirred furiously and I wonder how this type of nonstick finish will hold up, even using silicone utensils. Any opinons before I go ahead and willy-nilly buy the thing???

Re: Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - cjs - 04-01-2007

I would think the high heat alone needed for your cooking would wipe out a nonstick finish very quickly!! Don't think I'd go that route.

Re: Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - Mare749 - 04-01-2007

It does, my Analon wok is shot. I'm going to the restaurant supply store for the next one.

Maryann

Re: Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - Roxanne 21 - 04-01-2007

I have one of those as well and find a problem with time and finish---but the good part is that the company I bought it from has a FREE service to recoat it. I have had it for about five years and have had a recoat once. I do a great deal of wok cooking--have a few other styles and I interchange them (according to my mood at the time )

This would not be a product I would recommend

Re: Any opinions about a hard anodized wok? - Ron - 04-01-2007

I have a smooth top ceramic range, so I bought an electric wok. Even though I've used it infrequently and with non-metallic utensils I have a lot of scratches. Carbon steel woks are heavier, typically don't cost that much more than anodized, and last forever.

I have a smooth top as well, Ron. I use ALL of my woks on it with NO PROBLEM!!!!

Quote:

I have a smooth top as well, Ron. I use ALL of my woks on it with NO PROBLEM!!!!

Hmmm, I was told that was a no-go when I bought. The electric just doesn't get as hot as I would like, and I wish I had a stovetop model. Do you stabilize it with anything?

No, not at all and I achieve any temp I need--I know I have said this before but I will again---I LOVE MY SMOOTH TOP!!! Wouldn't work with anything else---sorry you gas lovers!!! You might want to try it---borrow a friend's for an experiment and go from there. Just a thought...

When I said "the electric just doesn't get as hot as I want," I was referring to the plug-in electric wok, not the electric range. My range is capable of more heat than I ever use.

I know what you meant, Ron. My Mom has an electric wok and what a nightmare!!! I worked around the deficiencies while I was visiting but I must admit the results were less than I had hoped for---in other words, TERRIBLE but still edible....not my finest moment-----