Cuisine at home Forums
Brown hamburger... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Brown hamburger... (/showthread.php?tid=31203)

Brown hamburger... - Ron - 04-16-2007

I never buy hamburger on Monday because the meat department isn't open on Sunday and I don't want to run the risk of old hamburger. I had to go to town today (Monday), so I bought some - two 6# packages. To make a long story longer, they had put a nice, pink coating of fresh meat around some hamburger that was browner than I would like. I didn't want to freeze it that way, so I made some into hamburger patties for use today and cooked the balance. It didn't have a bad smell either raw or cooked. I don't want to eat only hamburger this week - can I freeze the cooked hamburger? Does it taste okay? Thanks.

Re: Brown hamburger... - Half_Baked - 04-16-2007

With only Mr HB and I here, when we want hambugers I buy a pound of meat, make it into patties and cook them on the grill. I always freeze the leftovers and although I don't have a sophisticated palate by any stretch, the taste difference is not enough to make me toss them away . They are handy to have when I'm tired and want a quick sandwichy dinner.

Re: Brown hamburger... - Ron - 04-16-2007

Thanks. The hamburger wasn't bad to the extent of being a health risk, but I really like my hamburger as fresh as I can get it. I always wrap it well and typically use it within a month or so of freezing.

Re: Brown hamburger... - cjs - 04-16-2007

during my mother earth days when I was buying 10-20 lbs. of burger at a time, I would always cook up enuf for 5 or so pkgs. of just cooked burger (maybe a little onion and/or garlic tossed in) and freeze so I could make really quick sauces. Works great and it's sure nice to have on hand.

Re: Brown hamburger... - pjcooks - 04-16-2007

Hi, Ron, the pink (and red) you usually see is because the surface has been exposed to air. Since you said it didn't smell or taste bad, I would package it up and freeze away!

PJ

"Hi, Ron, the pink (and red) you usually see is because the surface has been exposed to air. Since you said it didn't smell or taste bad, I would package it up and freeze away!"

I know the brown color is due to not being exposed to air, but brown hamburger is one of my hot buttons. It's already cooked and in the freezer. Looks like hamburger casseroles and sloppy joes in my immediate future.

Re: Brown hamburger... - Mare749 - 04-16-2007

Ron, a friend of mine who is a retired meat man from one of our grocery chains told me when he wants ground beef, he picks a round steak and hands it to the butcher to grind fresh. I might try that.

Maryann

Thanks Maryann. I really don't have a ground beef problem if I don't have to buy on Monday. The market must have had a really slow weekend and I got what what was left from Saturday's grind - wrapped in a thin layer of fresh. If my favorite butcherette is in, she'll often grind some for me while I do the rest of my shopping. She's also really great on cutting something for me if I don't see what I want.

Re: Brown hamburger... - Half_Baked - 04-16-2007

MaryAnn, I will do that from now on...brilliant!

I really used to think I could cook but the more time I spend on forums, the more I know I'm a novice.

Re: Brown hamburger... - Mare749 - 04-16-2007

I think you are being modest, Jan. You sound like a superb cook to me!! And I think it's great how we all learn things from each other.

Maryann