Cuisine at home Forums
"21" Club Dinner - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: "21" Club Dinner (/showthread.php?tid=32625)

"21" Club Dinner - Old Bay - 05-15-2007

We are part of a dinner club and will be hosting 26 or so folks next week (Tuesday). We are doing an Italian theme (my favorite). The menu is --cheese stuffed salami cornucopias, Italian stuffed muhrooms, and tomato brusheta--followed by a baby greens salad in a parmesan basket, hunters chicken with gnocci, Italian style garlic spinach,garlic bread, and tiramasu (sp?). We will serve a pinot grigio and a chianti. Will let you know how it comes out. We love doing this.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Lorraine - 05-15-2007

Great sounding menu! And it sounds like lots of fun!!

"baby greens salad in a parmesan basket"

I love fricos! should put that one in the weekend thread.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - HomeCulinarian - 05-15-2007

Sounds fabulous!

My mother-in-law (God rest her soul, she passed away very recently) was 100% Italian and a great cook. She didn't use recipes or cookbooks. My 17-year-old daughter Libby was so interested in being able to make "red gravy" (aka marinara) like Grandma, Libby served as Grandma's hands and learned to make it. It was incredibly touching to witness and Libby is so proud of her knowledge and special connection to Grandma. Especially when our older son - a professional chef in Chicago - asked her to show him how to make Grandma's red gravy.

Not sure if my ramblings are of any relevance to your thread, but you got me thinking about her good cooking with your menu plan - especially the gnocci.

Ciao!

Re: "21" Club Dinner - bjcotton - 05-15-2007

How about telling me how to make a Parmesan basket Bill?

Homeculinarian, don't worry about making comments, we all do it.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Old Bay - 05-15-2007

We're lazy. We buy Boars Head shreaded parmesan and spread it loosely on a non-stick skillet and heat it until it softens--quickly drape it over a water glass--shape it as you like--let it cool--take it off--presto--a basket. Keeps for at least 3-4 days in a cool place.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Roxanne 21 - 05-15-2007

"Rambling" is great!!! That means you are comfortable with being a member of our family!!! WELCOME again---and you may ramble any time---love those memories---son a chef in Chicago, huh??? tell us more!!!

Daughter lived in Chicago until a year ago---son is a chef on Nantucket---see?? We are a small world indeed!!!

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Mare749 - 05-15-2007

I love that you shared that with us, HC! My mom was full-blooded Italian and I do everything possible to preserve her wonderful recipes and keep them going. I'm going to post a photo shortly of my 4 year old grandbaby, Katelyn, learning how to make meatballs. Gravy (sauce) for pasta is next. I start them young.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Mare749 - 05-15-2007

I've always wanted to make those! Sounds easy enough, I'll try it. Thanks, Bill.

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Roxanne 21 - 05-15-2007

There is a C@H recipe and how to do somewhere---see if I can find and post the issue...

I have made them and they were awesome!!! Great idea for a salad "bowl"---

Re: "21" Club Dinner - Lorraine - 05-15-2007

"Great idea for a salad "bowl"--- "

They sure are. I've also used them for pasta salad, and grilled marinated vegetables.

I KNOW I was Italian in a past life.