Cuisine at home Forums
Cubism... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Cubism... (/showthread.php?tid=33206)

Cubism... - Ron - 05-24-2007

I tend to make Country Fried Steak at least once a month. I've been buying cube steak, but haven't been happy with quality of late. Sooooo....does anyone use a regular cut of steak (which one and how thick) and which tenderizer (I'm liking the looks of the Jaccard) do you use? Any awesome recipes for white gravy will also be appreciated.

[Image: 21NQNFA8VPL._AA250_.jpg]

Do you use the tenderizer for any other applications beside cfs?

Re: Cubism... - bjcotton - 05-25-2007

I have one of those Jaccards Ron, I use it frequently. I can buy a relatively inexpensive piece of meat [like a rump roast], cut it into steaks, use the Jaccard and they come out nice and tender. I am a chump at making milk gravy, it always has lumps in it...doesn't bother me though, I just get out my immersion blender and have a go at it.

I have a couple recipes for chicken fried steak and white gravy, but haven't made any of them. If you like, I'll email them to you.

Re: Cubism... - Roxanne 21 - 05-25-2007

Now that's one thing I haven't done---never thought about cubed steaks---hmmm-------maybe next time we can have the red meat option (with gravy!!!). I know I have a recipe for that somewhere---

Re: Cubism... - pjcooks - 05-25-2007

Ron, a girlfriend bought me one of these years ago, I have used it on London Broil, but mostly I've used it on pork chops before marinating.

My regional slip is showing. I'm assuming white gravy is the pan sauce made after your steak is cooked.

PJ

Re: Cubism... - Half_Baked - 05-25-2007

That's a 'must have' gadget! I have always used the rough side of my meat mallet and it was far from what I was looking for...this is great.

PJ, white gravy is based on a bechamel sauce. We just add 'stuff' of choice and lots of black pepper.

Mr HB just had Sausage Gravy last night over biscuits. I fried a lb of sausage, drained lots of the fat, add flour for a good roux and then whisk in milk. White gravy with sausage in it.

Re: Cubism... - Lorraine - 05-25-2007

"If you like, I'll email them to you."

Add me to the list, Billy, I've never had it!!

Re: Cubism... - Ron - 05-25-2007

"If you like, I'll email them to you."

I'll give them a shot, Billy. Can you tell from your Jaccard what model it is? They have several. I'm especially interesed in cleaning - the most expensive model (naturally) comes apart. Does yours come apart and do you clean yours in the dishwasher?

Re: Cubism... - HomeCulinarian - 05-25-2007

Country Fried Steak - or Chicken Fried Steak is big around here. Comfort Food! I don't make it at home, though.

The key to pan gravy, or country gravy, is to cook the flour in flavorful fat, such as sausage drippings, until it is starting to brown. Then wisk in the liquid a little at a time. Use at least some milk. And LOTS of PEPPER.

Re: Cubism... - cjs - 05-25-2007

I rarely make gravy of any kind, but when I used to I did as HomeC does. Browning the flour gives such a great flavor.

Have never had a tool like you show - I'm still in the dark ages for tenderizing - I use the edge of a salad plate...but, I so rarely make CFS, a tool for it would just take up room.

Here's something I posted a couple weeks ago?? It's for pork chops, but would work for steak also - even the apricot jam...
------------

We had this the other nite and just for kicks, I added some apricot jam and red pepper flakes to the gravy and it really gave the dish a great creamy and very subtle sweet flavor! We'll do this one again!

Being that I am the brining queen, I did brine the chops for 4 hours.
Pork Chops with Country Gravy

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
Note: 1/2 cup apricot jam
a pinch of red pepper flakes - big or tiny pinch!

Preparation
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, salt, dried marjoram, dried thyme, and dried rubbed sage in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat, and cook for 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once.

Remove pork from pan; keep warm.

Combine reserved flour mixture and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to pan; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, (I added the pepper flakes and jam at this point) and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. (I also added the chops back into the gravy for a few minutes)

Re: Cubism... - Dismc - 05-25-2007

I make chicken fried steak maybe once every two years (it takes that long to work off the calories). This is a wonderful recipe from Southern Living and the gravy is very good.

Southern Living FREE TRIAL - Recipes & More! Chicken-Fried SteakRating:

Read Reviews
Rate and Review
Print: Full page | 3x5 | 4x6
Send: E-mail | IM

Add to Saved Recipes
Add to Saved Menus
Add to Shopping List
Add a Note

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 (4-ounce) cube steaks
38 saltine crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
4 3/4 cups milk, divided
2 large eggs
3 1/2 cups peanut oil
Garnish: chopped fresh parsley

Preparation
Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.

Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.

Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360°. (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225° oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.

Whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

Yield
4 servings

Southern Living, FEBRUARY 2001