Cuisine at home Forums
Omaha Steaks II... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Omaha Steaks II... (/showthread.php?tid=33756)

Omaha Steaks II... - Ron - 06-02-2007

Not horrible, but nothing to write home about, even at the "special" price. The steaks seemed a bit on the chewy side, but still weren't especially flavorful. When you factor in the fact that a substantial portion of the order was hamburgers, hot dogs and au gratin potatoes it didn't seem like much of a bargain to me. The hot dogs were the worst (reminded me of Ball Park Franks - ugh). I had to add cheese to the au gratins. Would not do again.

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - cjs - 06-02-2007

that's too bad, but you just have to try sometimes...

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - HomeCulinarian - 06-02-2007

Omaha Steaks were a huge treat when I was a kid. My dad would get these steaks as holiday gifts from his company. I remember them as something very special.

I've never ordered them for myself, and based on your experience, I don't think I will. We have access to prime at the local butcher shop and I always hate to pay the S&H!

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - Mare749 - 06-02-2007

What a shame, Ron. Don't you just hate it when you are looking forward to trying something, only to be disappointed? I wonder how the company handles customer satisfaction. Think I'd be calling the 1-800 number, or email. I really wanted to try those, too.

Maryann

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - aardvarknav - 06-02-2007

The latest Cooks Illustrated newsletter rated 7 mail order steaks and 2 from the local grocery store. The Omaha Steaks were the only ones rated Not Recommended.

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - Ron - 06-02-2007

Quote:

The latest Cooks Illustrated newsletter rated 7 mail order steaks and 2 from the local grocery store. The Omaha Steaks were the only ones rated Not Recommended.

Yup, saw that this morning. It would have been nice if they'd sent me that email a couple of weeks (and $74.95) earlier!

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - Mare749 - 06-02-2007

Thanks for letting us know, Ron. You got stuck this time, but probably saved quite a few of us from having the same bad experience.

Maryann

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - madmax - 06-02-2007

That's very interesting to know because I recieved the offer in the mail this week along with the extra goodies you get if you order I was seriously thinking about taking them up on the offer, now I think I'll think twice about it. Thanks

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - Ron - 06-02-2007

I put the free knives and cutting board back in the carton unopened in hopes of getting $2 instead of $1 in case I ever have a garage sale. The food wasn't horrible (except for the hot dogs), but it definitely wasn't what I would call a "special treat." They've been in business a long time and have sold a lot of product, so they must appeal to a lot of people - just not me.

Re: Omaha Steaks II... - DFen911 - 06-04-2007

Not sure how many of you have Costco's near you. But when the cuts of meat are distributed Costco gets first pick. Then it goes to the national chains like Vons, Stater Bros (Calif only), Ralphs etc.

I have always gotten great cuts from there.