Cuisine at home Forums
That Coke-brined chicken! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: That Coke-brined chicken! (/showthread.php?tid=34641)

That Coke-brined chicken! - foodfiend - 06-17-2007

Wow. It's so good that I'm taking a chicken and kosher salt to my parents when we visit next weekend and making them dinner (they will provide the Coke!).

And "spatchcocking" that chicken-- so easy! I worried about it, bought new (sharp!) scissors, and read the instructions over and over. And it was as simple as it sounded. I had no problems at all-- thanks to everyone for their help. I love learning new cooking techniques!

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - DFen911 - 06-17-2007

Ah another believer

When I said this was THE grilled chicken to beat I wasn't kidding

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - Half_Baked - 06-17-2007

Thank you both for the review! This recipe will fit right in with my weight loss program.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - cjs - 06-01-2011

I'll bet this is what I bought that bottle of Coke (in pantry) for.....now to find the recipe.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - Mare749 - 06-01-2011

Here you go, Jean.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Coke-brined Grilled Chicken

Recipe By : Cuisine at Home Magazine
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
FOR THE CHICKEN AND BRINE--
1 whole chicken (4-6 lb.)
1 liter coca-cola
1/2 cup kosher salt
FOR THE RUB
Combine -- rub over chicken and grill:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons paprika
1 SERVE WITH:
Bourbon BBQ or Sweet Carolina Dipping Sauce

Butter fly the chicken. Poke about 6 holes in the underside of each chicken half--this helps the brine to soak deeply into the meat. Combine the Coke and salt in a large resealable plastic bag, stirring to dissolve the salt. Place the chicken halves in the brine, seal the bag, and refrigerate for 2 hours. Preheat the grill to high.

Combine the rub ingredients in a bowl. Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towels (discard the brine). Rub the paste over the chicken, then let it stand for 15 minutes.

Turn 1 side of the grill to low (maintain high heat on the other side). Arrange both chicken halves on the low-heat section, skin side down. Top the halves with a cast iron skillet and a brick. Cover and grill for 10 minutes, then rotate the chicken 45°. Reposition the skillet and brick on the chicken; grill for 10 more minutes, or until skin is crispy and brown.

Flip the chicken over and grill, without weight, for 20-30 minutes, or until it's 180° in the thigh.

Serve chicken with dipping sauces.

Source:

"CuisineAtHome, June 2007, pg 7"

Thanks Maryann - even if it wasn't this one, this does sound very good.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - BarbaraS - 06-01-2011

Quote:

Turn 1 side of the grill to low (maintain high heat on the other side). Arrange both chicken halves on the low-heat section, skin side down. Top the halves with a cast iron skillet and a brick. Cover and grill for 10 minutes, then rotate the chicken 45°. Reposition the skillet and brick on the chicken; grill for 10 more minutes, or until skin is crispy and brown.

Flip the chicken over and grill, without weight, for 20-30 minutes, or until it's 180° in the thigh.

Serve chicken with dipping sauces.

Do you use the side of the grill on high heat during this recipe?

Barbara

No, the chicken would grill over the low heat side.

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - BarbaraS - 06-01-2011

Ahhhh, thank you...

Barbara

Re: That Coke-brined chicken! - DFen911 - 06-09-2012

Bumping this cause it's grill season and it's what I'm doing tonight for dinner