Cuisine at home Forums
Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 (/showthread.php?tid=34998)

Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - pjcooks - 06-23-2007

This was pretty tasty. A pretty simple approach but very good with the warm bacon vinaigrette. I used dry scallops (the only way to go if you can find them) and smaller shrimp because I had them. I would change 2 things repeating this dish. I would use less oil (it called for 1/2 c minus 2 TB for tossing 4 sea scallops and 8 jumbo shrimp, and I doubled the amount of scallops and shrimp w/ one recipe of marinade.) I would add a little more red pepper flakes, too. (Yes, I just said that) I didn't use all the salt called for, I threw in a pinch instead of 1 tsp, figuring if it needed salt at the end, it could be salted at the table.

It was a hit here, and I didn't dirty every pot and pan in the house

PJ

PJ

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - Mare749 - 06-23-2007

PJ, I don't think I've ever seen dried scallops here, although I can't say I ever looked for them either. Can you buy them in a grocery store, or do you go to a seafood market or specialty store? And if they are dried, how do you rehydrate them?

Maryann

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - pjcooks - 06-23-2007

Hi, Maryann, the "dry" refers to the way they are treated and packed. Most scallops are soaked in a brine to give them a longer shelf life, which plumps them up but are almost impossible to saute or grill successfully, as the liquid will keep leaching out, steaming them instead of getting a nice crust. Dry scallops aren't treated, so they aren't really dry, just not soaked with this solution. Soooo much better, they were hard to find 5 years ago, now they're almost everywhere here. If you can find some, sear them up, deglaze your pan w/white wine and add whatever herbs you like (I love tarragon), finish w/a tiny bit of butter, that's my idea of comfort food!

PJ

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - Mare749 - 06-23-2007

Oh my, that just sounds so good!!! I love scallops, so I will be on the lookout for the dry ones now! Thanks PJ.

Maryann

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - Half_Baked - 06-23-2007

To me, a dry scallop has the same 'bite' as a filet mignon. They are wonderful and after eating them once, that's the only scallop that you'll want.

lol, but I still buy the cheaper ones, also!

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - cjs - 06-24-2007

This one is on 'the list' to make - and now with added notes. That 1/2 cup oil does seem unnecessary. Thanks PJ.

Tonite we're trying the Jalapeno poppers for an starter and having the Japanese meatballs and rice for dinner. Both from Issue 64.

Tomorrow nite will be either the "dinner review" dinner or the Flank Steak Skewers (from #64) and Couscous with Feta (W.W.) Wait a minute when do we review???? MONDAY, ISN'T IT???? Shoot, back to the drawing board - gotta see if my ground turkey will be o.k. till Monday nite and I'll do the dinner tonite......geez, I completely forgot. Where does time go, now that we have all the time in the world???

I got my cedar planks at Costco for $8.99, so guess that is in line with everyone else.

(sorry for the rambling... )

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - esgunn - 06-24-2007

Jean, I don't think we review until the 30th.

Re: Grilled Shrimp and Scallops Issue #64 - cjs - 06-24-2007

"I was sort of thinking of reviewing for June 30th and I thought we might do the burgers for 4th of July."

You're right, erin! Oh well, the salad is made, the marinade is ready and the planks will be soaking in another 1/2 hour, so guess I'll go with it. But, it's going to be hard to keep my little mouth closed till Saturday, I'm thinking!!