Cuisine at home Forums
Can I freeze pesto? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Can I freeze pesto? (/showthread.php?tid=35545)

Can I freeze pesto? - Mare749 - 07-10-2007

I don't usually make this, but decided to try it since I have a bumper crop of basil. It turned out great! Now, I'm wondering if I could freeze some of it in ice cube trays, then put them into a freezer bag or container. I want to be able to thaw one or two at a time to put into soup or stew. Any ideas?

Billy, thanks again for the recipes. I used the one with sun-dried tomatoes and chipotles. Very tasty!
Maryann

Re: Can I freeze pesto? - bjcotton - 07-10-2007

You're very welcome. I have a bunch more [so does Jean], so if you want some.........I have only tried 2, Jean's Basil Pesto and the Cilantro Pesto.

Freezing Pesto
Thanks to olive oil, pesto retains its bright color when frozen. Just drop a tablespoon of pesto into each section of an ice tray, and freeze. Remove the frozen cubes and transfer them to a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag.

Or skip the ice tray, and spoon the pesto directly into a plastic bag or container to freeze. Let the pesto thaw for a few hours before you use it. Pesto will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months and in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

http://ask.metafilter.com/23557/What-do-I-do-with-all-this-darn-basil

Re: Can I freeze pesto? - cjs - 07-11-2007

I freeze my pesto by spreading out on a b. sheet fairly thin. Makes for a nice flat packet in the freezer and also it's easy to just 'knock off' a hunk when you need it.

Re: Can I freeze pesto? - Old Bay - 07-11-2007

I've got 2 yr old pesto in my freezer--still good. Basil,cilantro,parsley and sun dried tomato pestos--All freeze well. Make some of the roasted tomato basil soup I posted. It freezes well too! Good way to use 4 cups of basil!!

Re: Can I freeze pesto? - Mare749 - 07-11-2007

Oh, I most definately will be making that soup, Bill! That's probably going to be my new favorite soup recipe.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

Maryann