Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 (/showthread.php?tid=35841)

Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Harborwitch - 07-20-2007

At last! The dessert! By now I think there had been enough wine served to make us forget to take a picture of this! Take my word for it, this is so easy - so incredibly good! This will be the "go to" dessert around here for a long time!

Coconut Pumpkin "custard" Brulee

Yield:
6 - 2/3 cup servings

Time:
10 minutes to assemble
40 minutes to bake
Total time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:
1 can Coconut Milk
1 cup canned packed pumpkin (not pie mix)
3/4 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp nutmeg
Cinnamon sugar (for garnish)

Equipment:
6 - 1 cup oven proof custard cups

Directions: (Click on any image to enlarge.)
1 Preheat oven to 350F.
2 With a mixer or whisk, beat Coconut Milk, pumpkin, sugar, eggs, salt, extract and nutmeg until well mixed. Fill each custard cup with 2/3 cup of pumpkin mixture and lightly sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar.
3 Make a water bath by filling a 9" x 13" baking dish with 4 cups of hot water. Place each filled custard cup in baking dish.
4 Carefully place baking dish in oven and bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center of the custard comes out clean.
Note: For an extra fancy presentation sprinkle each 'cold' custard with a teaspoon of sugar. Melt sugar with a torch or under a broiler until just golden. Watch the heating process carefully, as the sugars can turn from golden to burned very quickly. We didn't do the cinnamon - just plain sugar. I'll try the cinnamon/sugar on the ones I have left tonight.

[Image: IMG_5573.jpg]
Jean and Roy getting ready to eat!

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - cjs - 07-20-2007

This is very good. What can be wrong with pumpkin???? Sharon & Bob had too much wine by then to operate the camera, I'm thinkin'

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Half_Baked - 07-20-2007

...and a great time was had by all. This was so much fun to read through your evening + have some super recipes to go with the pictures and commentary.

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Mare749 - 07-21-2007

Jean, I just love your scarf in the picture. I have one just like it!

Maryann

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Half_Baked - 07-21-2007

rofl, that's funny, MaryAnn!

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - cjs - 07-21-2007

Maryann -

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - bjcotton - 07-21-2007

A funny story: I sent Lorraine a tie-dyed flour sacking dish towel and matching bar rag. She thought the dish towel was a scarf and wore it to work around her neck. Everybody just loved her new "scarf!" I later sent her a matching rayon "scarf" so she didn't have to tell the people at work it was a dish towel By-the-way, I promised never to tell anyone this story, but have told everyone I know

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - DFen911 - 07-21-2007

Ok I'm just gonna have to drag hubby up that way and have dinner with you all because it looks like you guys have the best times!

What a fun event and everything looks wonderful! I've never seen a banana flower before and would probably have to travel a long way to find one.

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - Harborwitch - 07-21-2007

It was funny Billy - Jean commented that you could tell the people who know Billy - they've got tye dye all over the house! It's all over our house!!

Re: Dinner with Jean & Roy! #5 - cjs - 07-22-2007

Denise, we'll hijack you one of these days when we're in the area!