Cuisine at home Forums
OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? (/showthread.php?tid=36274)

OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Mare749 - 07-31-2007

Got the Brinkmann smoker from Lowes on Sunday. Put pork chops on it because it was the only thing I had that could be thawed out quickly. They were good, but a little dry. Forgot to brine and that probably would have helped some.

Does anybody have any favorite recipes to share since I'm new at this?

Maryann

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - DFen911 - 07-31-2007

Beef Brisket!

Here's a site for smoker recipes -

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/smokedbrisketrecipes.html

And I want pictures!

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Mare749 - 07-31-2007

Thanks Denise, I was thinking that might be good to start with. What's new and exciting in your world these days???
Are you doing lots of personal cheffing?

Maryann

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - bjcotton - 07-31-2007

Yeah Denise, where ya bean? Whacha bean doing? Howya?

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - labradors - 07-31-2007

Not familiar with that smoker, but if it's one that you can leave smoking for 12 or 24 hours, get a big batch of red jalapeƱo peppers and make your own chipotles!

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Mare749 - 07-31-2007

labradors, what a great idea! Thanks!

Maryann

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - carolekv - 08-02-2007

We used to always make our Thanksgiving turkey on a smoker, but now have a rotisserie which competes with that plan. Turkey or chicken, that has been brined, is amazing on a smoker - your neighbors will show up for dinner though, I warn you!

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Mare749 - 08-02-2007

Thanks Carol, I hadn't thought about brining first as I'm rather new to that concept, but I will defintely try it!

Maryann

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - DFen911 - 08-02-2007

I actually got hired to do a big dinner party for 16. (My max is usually 8) My daughter is going to be my server since she does that as a part time job anyways.

I'm very nervous. I was so anxious to please I said yes to everything, because well I knew I could do it all.

That was until I began going over everything once I got home. The menu as it stands now is -

Starter - Lobster Ravioli in a Basil Cream Sauce

Entree - Pan seared chicken Breast with a White Wine/Dijon mustard sauce. Brown Buttered Green Beans with Pinenuts.

Dessert - Birthday Cake to be provide by Bakery.

Ok everything is great I've done these things 100 times.

But...well 16 people, 2 ravioli each. That's 32 ravioli and I had planned on doing 40 (the just incase it explodes backup)

I need a big sautee pan for the cream sauce.

I have to sear 17 chicken breasts....that's about 3 minutes per and I can get 2-3 per pan. Then all the drippings can go into one pan to make the reduction sauce. Ok...

Oh but I have cook enough green beans..that'll be 2 pots or one large.

So we have 2 pots for Pasta, 1 pan for cream sauce, 1 for chicken reduction sauce, 1 (possibly 2) for the green beans...that brings us 6 pots/pans. She has a small 4 burner stove.

And her kitchen is a beautifully remodled one. But you can tell she's not a cook. Her sink is at one end. Her stove in the middle, her ovens on the other side and her fridge is way over in a corner.

So I also realized as I'm really thinking about the food that we have way too many heavy things here. So I am going to ask her to replace the beans with a nice cold crisp salad with a pomogranate vinaigrette. (That frees up 1 or 2 pots)

Ideas or suggestions? (Yes I have learned I am the chef I am in charge of the food and must guide them to a proper menu based on kitchen layout....Hahaha)

Re: OK, bought my smoker....what should I cook? - Mare749 - 08-03-2007

Well, Denise, all I can say is it sounds wonderful. I would be absolutely delighted with that menu whether you made the green beans or the salad. Personally, I would lean toward the salad since it's summer right now.
Please let us all know how it turns out! We all miss hearing from you!

Maryann