Cuisine at home Forums
Mushroom loaf? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Mushroom loaf? (/showthread.php?tid=36544)

Mushroom loaf? - labradors - 08-05-2007

Do any of you have a good, tested recipe for a "meatloaf" made with mushrooms instead of meat? I am certainly NOT a vegetarian, but I love mushrooms, and would really like to find a reliable recipe for a "mushroom loaf."

Most of the time, where I live, fresh mushrooms are not readily available, but I was just able to get about three pounds of them (i.e. get them while they ARE available), and would like to use some of them for a mushroom loaf, but only if it is a tested recipe, since I don't want to waste these.

Thanks!

P.S.: Due to either high prices or unavailability, I would prefer a recipe that does NOT contain soy, tofu, TVP, or nuts.

Re: Mushroom loaf? - bjcotton - 08-05-2007

I found several that had names that lead you to believe they were mushrooms loaves, but they all had some kind of meat as a base. One had 1/4 pound of mushrooms, but that was tops. I'll do a Google search next to see if I can find one there.

Found this one on FoodNetWork. I just might have to try this myself:

Cajun Mushroom Loaf Recipe courtesy Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh

1 stick butter
1 cup diced yellow onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 1/2 pounds sliced mushrooms
4 eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning blend
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
Special Equipment: 1 (9 by 5-inch) loaf pan

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Put the butter into a 4-quart pot and place over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the onion, garlic and thyme sprigs. Saute until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pot, stir, and raise the heat a bit. Cook the mixture until the liquid has cooked off, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk well. Add the cream, parsley and Cajun seasoning and whisk to combine. Add the mushroom mixture 1 serving spoonful at a time to temper the egg mixture, stirring well after each addition. Add the breadcrumbs and stir well.

Spray the loaf pan with nonstick spray, line with parchment paper, and pour the mixture into the pan. Set in a large roasting pan and fill the pan with water halfway up the loaf pan. Place into the top half of the oven and bake until the center is set, about 60 to 70 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate to slice.

My sis said it sounded like if you made it into patties like for a hamburger substitute she would like it. That sounds like an idea too.

Re: Mushroom loaf? - vannin - 08-06-2007

Mushrooms are called the vegaterians meat, are they not. Thanks for this Billy.

Re: Mushroom loaf? - labradors - 08-06-2007

Thanks. I bookmarked this one last week, and did a very extensive Google search.

In addition to a FEW recipes that fit my criteria, the search also yielded the blogs of a number of people who talked about their negative experiences with mushroom loaf. Because of that, I am looking for a tested recipe: one that you guys have actually tried, yourselves, rather than an unknown from another website.

Otherwise, that Cajun mushroom loaf DOES sound delicious, and so do the "mushroom burgers" at http://www.cookingwithmushrooms.com/veg.html

Thanks again.

Vannin, I've never heard mushrooms called "the vegetarian meat" before. My experience with vegetarians (especially some local Seventh-Day Adventists) would give that title to seitan (wheat gluten). They mix wheat flour with just enough water to make a dough, then they knead it a lot to develop the gluten. After that, they soak it in water for a while, then knead it some more in the water until the water gets very cloudy. Then, they dump out the water and put in fresh water, continuing the process until the kneading doesn't make the water cloudy any more. At that point, most of the carbohydrates (that made the cloudiness) are gone, and they are left with the protein (the gluten). From there, they knead some spices into it and finally cut it into strips that they bread and fry. Many of the locals don't even know the word "gluten" (the same in Spanish as it is in English) nor seitan (the otherwise-well-known, Japanese name), but just call it carne Adventista or "Adventist meat." The final product is actually very tasty.

Re: Mushroom loaf? - pjcooks - 08-06-2007

Hi, Dale, I've heard this too, especially with the big portobellas. Billy's recipe does sound good, I think I'll make this for my mushroom lover!

Thanks, Billy.

PJ

Re: Mushroom loaf? - vannin - 08-06-2007

We use the big portabellas for holding a filet steak in, field mushrooms are even better. A stack of mushroom on crouton (very crisp) holding tomato sliced thick and turned over on the hotplate to heat through, filet, and cheese, melted a bit under the grill is our version of the Pommy fry up. A side of just boiled 1" potato cubes, finished to brownish on the hot plate, just tossed around, is rather nice.

Back to the mushroom meatloaf. I am inclined to think I would pre cook the mushrooms until they loose their weight of moisture, and use that moisture with a little arrowroot or cornflour to "hold" the mixture. I could see raw mushies releasing to much liquid on cooking. On the other hand, just eat them raw. Yum.