Cuisine at home Forums
Rummed Hot Chocolate - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Rummed Hot Chocolate (/showthread.php?tid=37325)

Rummed Hot Chocolate - cjs - 08-19-2007

We happened to watch a Nigella Lawson ccooking show yesterday, called "Chocolate Heaven" and wow, what a bunch of goodies she made up. One, we tried this morning in my Grandmother's 125 (at least) year old chocolate set! I've only used it once since I was a kid and my mother would make hot chocolate for my sister and me on special occasions. I say 'we tried it', but Roy was the one who made it for us - what a double treat!!

[Image: chocolateset.jpg]

* Exported from MasterCook *

Alcoholic Hot Chocolate

2 cups milk
3 1/2 ounces best-quality dark chocolate -- bittersweet or semisweet, as preferred
1 cinnamon stick
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum -- or to taste

Put the milk into a saucepan and break the chocolate into pieces and add to the milk along with a cinnamon stick, honey, and sugar and heat gently until the chocolate is melted.

Add the vanilla and mix with a small hand whisk and still whisking, add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more. Add more sugar if you want this sweeter, too. Take out the cinnamon stick and pour into 2 cappuccino or caffe latte cups.
Description:
"Recipe courtesy Nigella Lawson"

What a wonderful little treat this was - and to use this set again, was such fun!

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - pjcooks - 08-19-2007

Good for you-you have a nice treat and someone else makes it

That recipe looks like a keeper, especially for T-day or Christmas morning, don't ya think?

What a small world this is, my sister in law gave me this exact pitcher, found at a yard sale for a quarter, almost 20 years ago. What a coinicidence!

PJ

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - Roxanne 21 - 08-19-2007

Nigella is a great cooking personality!!! One of the few that I enjoy on BBC Food network (when I have the chance or inclination to sit and watch TV---not often enough, unfortunately----) I do have several of her cookbooks, though!! YUMMMM--YES!!!! Gotta try that one---sure wish I could find the China set--lovely!!!!!

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - Mare749 - 08-19-2007

I just started watching a few of Nigella's shows recently, and really enjoy her. Don't know how I missed her shows before now, but since the food network is boring anymore, it's refreshing to catch one of her shows.

Jean, what a pretty piece of china! I have a couple of old pieces from my grandmother also. Don't have a clue if they are worth anything, but they mean the world to me.

Maryann

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - cjs - 08-20-2007

I have one of her books - I think one of the kids gave it to me, but this is the first of her shows we've watched. I like her.

Growing up I was always fascinated with this chocolate set and when I was in my 30s, Mom, bless her heart (and I mean it sincerely this time, Billy J!! ), said since I'd loved it for so long, I ought to have it to enjoy! Otherwise, I'd still be lusting after it probably.

It's Haviland bone china and as much as I love it, I was scared to death of it for years...

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - cjs - 10-29-2009

I'm bringing this to the top because it is now hot chocolate weather and I'm sure going to make this again this year. It's wonderful!

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - Peach - 10-29-2009

yum yummmm! this sounds like such a yummy treat for a sunday afternoon in the winter

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - chef_Tab - 10-29-2009

I just read this recipe for the third time and finally noticed:
"add a spoonful of the rum first and taste to see if you want more"

Are they kidding? Of course we want more!

I cannot wait to try this.

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - Gourmet_Mom - 10-29-2009

Oh my! Copied and saved!

Re: Rummed Hot Chocolate - cjs - 10-29-2009

You haven't made this, Daphne?? William's in for a treat.