Cuisine at home Forums
Question about lobster - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Question about lobster (/showthread.php?tid=38050)

Question about lobster - Mare749 - 08-29-2007

Okay, so I've never cooked lobster before, but I do love it. What is everyone using in the Newburg Pot Pie? My local grocery store has live lobster and (frozen) lobster tails. If I'm reading the recipe correctly, the lobster and shrimp should be raw?

Maryann

Re: Question about lobster - Roxanne 21 - 08-29-2007

Maryann, I don't quite understand your question but there is nothing that can compare to fresh seafood of any kind. The meat of these creatures cooks very quickly so I would assume that the cooking technique takes that into account.

Can't wait for those chunks of succulent, sweet morsels!!!

I will have to use frozen lobster tails--they are good but nothing compared to what you can get. Ask the fishmonger how to prep the lobster ---bring along the recipe with you. He/she will be more than happy to assist with your questions. They are very knowledgeable about the trade. NEVER cooked lobster---you are in for a treat!!

Re: Question about lobster - Lorraine - 08-29-2007

I'll be using frozen tails. I can get some really good ones. I think I also have some frozen shrimp in the freezer.

Re: Question about lobster - cjs - 08-29-2007

Not sure what I'll be able to get yet, probably fresh, but I have shrimp in the freezer.

Maryann, just keep in the back of your mind the note to cut the lobster in good size chunks so it doesn't get tough cooking.

Re: Question about lobster - Old Bay - 08-29-2007

Our store (HEB 0r Kroger) steams them for us--we just crack and clean!!

Re: Question about lobster - Mare749 - 08-29-2007

Roxanne, I'm not positive, but I think the frozen lobster tails are already cooked, and all you do is warm them up. So, unless I use live lobster, won't it get overcooked in the oven? That's what I meant to ask, sorry for being confusing.

Maryann

Re: Question about lobster - Lorraine - 08-29-2007

Maryann, the ones I buy frozen are raw.

Thanks Lorraine, I'll check that out. I'm probably wrong about the frozen ones being cooked.

I swear, sometimes I just confuse myself!

Maryann

Re: Question about lobster - Roxanne 21 - 08-29-2007

Frozen tails are not usually cooked---just thaw them and your good to go!!!

Okay, thank you!