Cuisine at home Forums
Dry blanching - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dry blanching (/showthread.php?tid=38745)

Dry blanching - Old Bay - 09-08-2007

Sound funny? I caught her--Jane was heating spinach in a dry non stick until wilted and putting it in a colander to drain--so little water!! She read it somewhere--we're having creamed spinach with a 28oz rubbed rib eye (mushrooms, sugar, salt, garlic, olive oil, etc) grilled med rare and pomme Anna, with sliced tomato and blu cheese--OMG--how about a great cab??!! The dry blanching is really neat--she is so smart.

Re: Dry blanching - labradors - 09-08-2007

Hmmm...is that anything like "dry" cleaning?

Re: Dry blanching - Roxanne 21 - 09-08-2007

I do that with my spinach--and other hearty greens--all the time. Quick--like seconds, and you can add tons of flavors, if you wish, according to the dish it goes with.

Don't cha just love learning something new everyday?

Re: Dry blanching - Old Bay - 09-08-2007

Yes--why didn't I think of that?? She has let me blanche in water all this time. I know it doesn't work for everything--but----???

Re: Dry blanching - pjcooks - 09-08-2007

Thanks, Bill, I didn't know that either! Smart girl!!

PJ

Re: Dry blanching - bjcotton - 09-08-2007

"how about a great cab" Yeah Bill, send one by and I'll be right there! Sounds great.

What heat does she use to dry blanch?

Re: Dry blanching - Old Bay - 09-08-2007

Jane says med low.
P.S. We had '99 Silver Oak--wonderful--will finish with a French dip w/rare roast beef and caramalized onions tomorrow brunch.

Re: Dry blanching - cjs - 09-09-2007

I do that also, but didn't know it had a name...

We had a Silver Oak wine one nite last week, but can't remember what we had....it was good.

That's right, tomorrow's Sunday. Tomorrow's brunch day!!