Cuisine at home Forums
How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile (/showthread.php?tid=38869)

How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - labradors - 09-10-2007

It has come to my attention that a few people are not quite sure how to go about adding an "avatar" (the little picture that appears under the user's name to the left of a forum message) to your account. Here are some instructions on how to do this. Don't be alarmed at the number of steps - I have deliberately broken things down in a way that I hope will minimise any confusion.

1. Find a picture you would like to use.
  2. Go to http://imageshack.us/. (The software used by this forum does not allow you to upload the image directly to the site, but requires that the image be "hosted" on some other website. ImageShack is a good, free website for this purpose.)
  3. If the picture you wish to use is already on some other website:
    • Click "url." (Note: the image should still be hosted on ImageShack, since the owner of the website from which you take the image may not like, or even may not allow "hot linking" directly to the image. Of course, it would probably also be a good idea to get the website owner's permission to use the image, in the first place.)
    • Put the web address of the image into the box that says "Paste image url here."
  4. If the picture you wish to use is on your own computer:
    • Keep "image" clicked.
    • Click the "Browse" button and navigate to where you have the picture stored.
  5. Don't put anything in the email box.
  6. Check the "Resize image" box and select the "Avatar" setting from the drop-down list to the right.
  7. Keep the "Remove size..." box checked.
  8. Click "Host it!"
  9. When the page with all the links appears, right click in the "Direct link to image" box and select "Copy."
  10. Go to the C@H forum, and click on "My Home."
  11. Click on the "Edit" link for "Personal information."
  12. Right click in the "URL to your avatar" box and select "Paste."
  13. Click the "Submit" button.
  14. To verify that your avatar is now in place, click "My Home" again. The avatar should now appear in the "Main Configuration" section.
If you have any questions or problems with this, please post them here, in this thread, instead of in a private message, since other people may need to know the answer to the same question.

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - Roxanne 21 - 09-10-2007

Great instructions, labradors----thanks!!!!

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - MUSICMAKER - 09-10-2007

Thanks for breaking the instructions down to "baby steps"...and thanks for doing them for us!

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - Mare749 - 09-10-2007

Thanks for the instructions, Lab. I know I'm going to forget how I did it the first time, so this will be handy reference for when I want to change it.

Maryann

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - luvnit - 09-10-2007

I tried it! I think it worked. The photo shows in my profile. Thanks.

Laura

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - mlucas1 - 09-10-2007

Thanks, Labradors!

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profile - HomeCulinarian - 09-10-2007

Thanx - that helped. I was looking on line at the many, many animated avatars out there inspired by Twilightkitten's cute cat & spider. Couldn't figure it out, but I was able to post a picture just fine.

Guess I just need to stay in the slow lane for now!

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profi - labradors - 09-11-2007

Animated avatars are images just as much as any other avatars. Generally, there are two types: SWF and GIF. This forum does not allow SWF files as avatars, so the only animated avatars you could use would be GIFs, but they're the most common, anyway.

Otherwise, there is no difference in the instructions. Just host the picture on ImageShack, put the URL that ImageShack gives you into the avatar spot of your forum profile, and you're all set.

As an example, I have changed my avatar to an animated GIF file.

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profi - farnfam - 10-27-2007

Hi labs, I tried to post an image from my Photobucket but it didn't work. What'd I do wrong?
Cis

Re: How to add an avatar image to your forum profi - farnfam - 10-27-2007

oops, guess I figured it out after all, thanks anyway labs