Cuisine at home Forums
Review of meatballs from current issue - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Review of meatballs from current issue (/showthread.php?tid=38954)

Review of meatballs from current issue - Emmasmum - 09-10-2007

Made these tonight and they were great. I actually divided the meatballs into 3 batches and then froze 2 of them. Also made the mashed potatoes with the swede (rutabaga. This was really nice as well. One word of caution is I didn't add salt to the gravy and I am so glad I did not because it was quite salty on it's own. Next time will definitely use low sodium broth. I really liked that I was able to stretch this meal so far (we are just two adults and toddler) so even though it seemed sort of time consuming I will just have to make the sauce next time as opposed to the whole dish. So far everything made from new issue has been spot on.

Linda

Re: Review of meatballs from current issue - Mare749 - 09-10-2007

Thanks for the review, Linda. This one is on the list for me as well. I'm glad it was good and thanks for the note regarding the low sodium broth.

Maryann

Re: Review of meatballs from current issue - Emmasmum - 09-10-2007

Forgot one more tip. It says to use a box grater to grate the onion for meatballs. Much more effective to either do in blender or food processor. I used blender and added the chopped onion, half&half and the spices and just blended and added that to meat. This is actually a technique that I use for my Italian meatballs and it just makes them like 10 times better.

Re: Review of meatballs from current issue - cjs - 09-11-2007

they've been on my list as well - good to know.

No wonder it was salty - beef broth, beef base AND kitcen bouquet!! wow. I hadn't noticed the ingred. before. Just my 2 cents, but I think I'd convert this old B.A. recipe for gravy that went with a wonderful meatball dish to go with this one.

"All purpose flour
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups dry red wine
1/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups canned beef broth (or hopefully homemade)

Dust meatballs with flour; shake off excess. Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.

Working in batches, add meatballs to skillet and sauté until brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Return all meatballs to skillet.

Whisk wine and tomato paste in small bowl to blend. Add wine mixture to meatballs and bring to boil. Continue boiling until wine thickens slightly, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.

Add broth, reduce heat to medium and simmer until flavors blend and gravy thickens, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer meatballs and gravy to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and serve. "

Re: Review of meatballs from current issue - vannin - 09-12-2007

Thank you Linda, that is helpful.

Re: Review of meatballs from current issue - pjcooks - 09-12-2007

Thanks, Linda, for for the heads up!

Good thought, Jean.

PJ