Cuisine at home Forums
HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! (/showthread.php?tid=39259)

HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Old Bay - 09-15-2007

We had this last week--
Dry Rubbed Rib-Eye for Two (Is that perfect?)-Mario Batali
Welcome home!!!

2 T sugar
1 T Kosher salt
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 T hot red pepper flakes
1 T ground black pepper
1/4 C dry porcini mushrooms, ground to a fine powder in spice grinder
1/4 C Extra virgin olive oil
1 28 oz rib-eye steak--2 inches thick
Good evoo for drizzling
Good balsamic for drizzling

1. In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients, stir until a thick paste--rub all over steak evenly--refrigerate under plastic 12 hrs or overnite.
2 Preheat broiler or grill
3Remove steak & brush off excess marinade. Cook over hottest part of grill for 25 min., turning every 6 min, to an internal temp of 120 for med rare.
4. Allow to rest 10 min. Slice against the grain--drizzle with evoo and balsamic.

Tonight we are having--
Sugar -rubbed New York Strip
with blue cheese and tomato salad & baked potato
CAH- Vol 56, April 06-if you need the recipe let me know--
Regards to you both--be well, Bill

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Roxanne 21 - 09-15-2007

WOW!!!! this will be something he will really enjoy---thank you for that reminder--- YUMMM!!!

I was just "introduced" to Mario via an Iron Chef segment--- I have done that sugar-rubbed steak and it is incredibly good!!! I'm salivating------he will be too---gotta put the red meat on the menu---forget the cholesterol (for a while)

Nice suggestions, Old Bay---gonna follow them!!!

And thank you for your well wishes--8 1/5 hours and counting!!!!

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Lorraine - 09-15-2007

Wow, thanks, Bill! I'll have access to the grill in the kitchen while I'm on holidays. I do love my beef. Rox, give him some spinach, and sweet potatoes.

Rox, 6 1/2 hours!!!

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Old Bay - 09-16-2007

OK-we had the CAH Strip with bacon vinegarette salad and a baked potato--delicious!! Everyone please try it. Roxanne, I hope your man is home and well.

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - cjs - 09-16-2007

Since I'm thinking of doing steak for a grilling 'last hurrah' - rain will be coming and from now on I'll have to be standing in the rain sometimes, this will certainly fill the bill. Oh and baked potatoes on the grill, haven't done them for a while - and for those who need it, here's what we're talkin' about..

Sugar-Rubbed New York Strip Steak
(Cuisine at home, April 2006, Issue 56, p. 14?15)

Makes: 1 Steak, 3 Cups Salad and 1/3 Cup Vinaigrette Total Time: About 30 Minutes

For the Steak—
Combine; Press on:
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 t. ground black pepper
1/2 t. kosher salt
1 New York strip steak, 1–11/2

For the Salad—
Toss Together:
3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup blue cheese, crumbled

Saute; Deglaze and Finish with:
1 strip thick-sliced bacon, minced
2 T. shallots, minced
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 t. brown sugar
1 t. Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 T. olive oil

Drizzle Vinaigrette over; Serve with:
Prepared salad and steak
Baked potatoes

Preheat oven to 450?; heat an ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium.

Combine 2 T. brown sugar, pepper, and salt in a bowl. "Press" sugar mixture onto both sides of the steak, then sear it on one side until browned, about 5 minutes. Flip steak and brown the second side for 2 minutes, then transfer pan to the oven to finish (about 8 minutes for medium-rare). Remove steak and let rest on a cutting board.

Toss lettuce, tomatoes, and blue cheese together while steak is in the oven; chill until ready to serve.

Saute bacon in a small skillet over medium-high heat until crisp; add shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Deglaze with vinegar, then whisk in 2 t. brown sugar, mustard, salt, and pepper. Finish vinaigrette with oil and keep warm. To serve, cut steak in half and place each half on serving plates. Divide salad between the steaks.

Drizzle steak and salad with the warm vinaigrette. Serve with baked potatoes, if desired.

-------------

thanks for the reminder, Bill.

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Mare749 - 09-16-2007

Thanks for the recipe, Jean. I've done the steak, but had not done the salad. I will now!

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - labradors - 09-16-2007

Of course, I wouldn't use this on the specially prepared steak in the above recipe, but here's a recipe for Chimichurri, since someone mentioned it in another thread (and since I just translated it for my Mom, from an Argentinian website, yesterday).

Chimichurri
Sauce/condiment for grilled meats - especially popular in Argentina.
Translated from an Argentinian web page.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Cup Olive oil
  • 2/3 Cup Red wine vinegar (you may use white vinegar, instead, but not cider vinegar)
  • 1/2 Cup White onion VERY finely chopped
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic, very finely chopped
  • 1/8 Cup Dry parsley or 1/4 Cup Finely chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/8 Cup Dry oregano
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground red pepper (less if you want it less spicy, or you may eliminate it completely)
  • 1 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
Instructions:
  • Mix all the ingredients and allow to sit for one day (never less than two hours) for the flavours to develop.
Notes:
  • As other ingredients are available, you may adjust them to your taste. Some people add basil or thyme, or don't use oregano. There are as many variations of this sauce as there are Argentinians. Anything goes, and as much as you like.

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Old Bay - 09-16-2007

We eat it (in a lot of varieties) a lot. It' good on that flank steak--yours looks good.

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - cjs - 09-17-2007

"Tonight we are having--
Sugar -rubbed New York Strip
with blue cheese and tomato salad & baked potato
CAH- Vol 56, April 06-"

Oh my, we had this last night - Roy gave it a 15!!!! He talked about it all evening. I liked it also, but I'm not the fanatical 'blue' fan he is. Will certainly be a repeat around here.

Re: HEY ROXANNE--HOW ABOUT SOME STEAK FOR THE BOY! - Mare749 - 09-17-2007

This is good to know, Jean. I have a feeling Ron is going to really like this one also.