Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner Review for October 1st - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner Review for October 1st (/showthread.php?tid=39832)

Dinner Review for October 1st - cjs - 10-01-2007

This was a very good Bourguignon - altho, I wish I'd thought ahead far enough to double or triple the recipe. Would loved to have had leftovers (only had enough for Roy's breakfast)! I used a Tobin James Zinfandel (it's a wonderful, heavy zin) and it was very good in the mix and glass!

I had sirloin in the freezer, so didn't buy any chuck for it, but the sirloin worked quite well for the dish and it braised for a couple of hours. To finish it I used a little of the T.J. zin instead of the vinegar - as Jacques Pepin suggests to do.

Oh, I also took the garnish a little further and made a gremolata (lemon zest, garlic and parsley)

Overall, we gave this dish a strong 8.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - Lorraine - 10-01-2007

I doubled it (since there's 3 of us) and made it as printed. We really enjoyed it, it gave my regular recipe a run for it's money. I think the fresh herbs really made it, and I liked adding the vinegar at the end. I'd rate it an 8. Had the leftovers for lunch, and it was just as good if not better the next day.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - Roxanne 21 - 10-01-2007

We needed a really good BEEF dinner and cuz I said I would participate, HERE I AM!!!

This was an okay, IMHO. I would love to have had a bit more braising than the recipe called for. Even though I used some tenderloin---a nice tender cut and very tasty!!!--I would love to have had a bit more with the cooking technique. I (WE) prefer the recipe for Bourguignon from Issue 37, page 22 much more---nice slow cooking braise.

Now---my total debacle!!! Went to the wine cellar and noticed only one bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (the only dry red there) and pulled to use!!! Peter almost had a heart attack (with everything else---GEESH!!! Of course, he did not notice what I did until after the fact!!! Anyway, I'm not a wine affucianado and said "self"---this is a Cabernet--YEAH!!! A $350.00 dollar bottle that he has been saving for that "SPECIAL" occasion!!!! Well, I guess that was our special occasion---!!! It made a really great sauce and the glass was appreciated by his nibs---I thought it was okay---again, not a great wine person, am I!! House Morgenhof from Stellenbosch---great house for superb wines!!! If one appreciates wines, that is!! Now we have to take a 45 minute trip out to the winelands to replenish our supply---Smile Now that will be FUN!!!

Loved the veggies in this---I had to manipulate the boiling/pickling onions a bit but overall they were great. The vinegar and lemon zest added a nice touch at the end--along with my fresh herbs from the garden!!!

I also served with a garlic mash instead of the noodles---great accompaniment!!

I will give this a 7+-8 as well---still like that other recipe better!!

Okay---NEXT?????? Where is COCO???

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - cjs - 10-01-2007

OMG, Roxanne - it's a wonder he didn't have a heart attack!! And I'll bet it was good. I'm with you on the braising - why bother if it doesn't go for a while. That's the whole point of a braise.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - pjcooks - 10-01-2007

Oh, Lord, missed another one. I did make the last one just forgot to review it. I think I was driving to work in the dark and driving home in the dark, lose all sense of time that way.

A $350 bottle of wine? Did the Vinyard come with it?

Enjoying your reviews of this, even if I didn't get a chance to make it yet. In the words of the immortal Misfit Elf, there's always tomorrow

PJ

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - HomeCulinarian - 10-01-2007

We followed the recipe and used a moderately priced Cab. There aren't any $350 bottles of wine in our "cellar"! I bet it was good, Roxanne!

I used ribeyes and doubled the recipe. The flavors were great, but I would use a cheaper cut of meat and braise it longer, or let the liquid braise add the steak at the end. The meat was not as tender as I would have liked. I parboiled the onions so they would be easier to peal. I wonder if they'd have been soft with the short braising time.

We liked the vinegar added on finish, I could take or leave the lemon zest. I agree with the other ratings in so far... this recipe is 7+ to 8.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - cjs - 10-01-2007

Well darn, too bad we haven't had another 10+ that most of us gave that Chicken Roulade with the tomato concasse....that was so good!(abd U gaveb;t nade ut agaub)

Maybe next one....?

"(abd U gaveb;t nade ut agaub)" ...and for those of you who do not speak one-key-over-ese, the above translates to (and I haven't made it again)......

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - Lorraine - 10-01-2007

I got the translation!! LOL I made it often this summer for guests. I still make a double batch of the dressing every weekend to bring to work on slaads. I do cut down on the garlic, though.

" slaads "

Some days I just bring salads.

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - Mare749 - 10-01-2007

Sorry guys, this week got away from me and I didn't do this one. Hubbie is on vacation and we started a major project, so we've been eating quick meals and going out. I'll try to make the next one.

Maryann

Re: Dinner Review for October 1st - mjkcooking - 10-02-2007

This is the first time I have done a review dinner - it was fun

we enjoyed the dish - used chuch as suggested and braised it longer

was a good dish - we enjoyed it over the noodles one day and the next

over potatoes - agree it was a 7 or 8 on list

sorry late for the review was at a cooking class

Marye