Cuisine at home Forums
Info On Souffles - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Info On Souffles (/showthread.php?tid=40721)

Info On Souffles - bjcotton - 10-18-2007

Here is something I should have read when soufflés were first mentioned. I forgot this cookbook and it is great...

How To Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
The Basics of Soufflés

Few dishes have intimidated so many people for so long as the soufflé, yet the fact is that soufflés are not difficult. If you beat the egg whites thoroughly and integrate them into the batter carefully, the battle is won. You can hold the soufflé, refrigerated, for fifteen or even thirty minutes before baking, and all you need do is serve the soufflé the moment you remove it from the oven, when it is in its glory – a light, fluffy mound of beautifully browned eggs and flavorings.
All you need know about beating egg whites is that those at room temperature will gain a little more volume, but no so much to make you abandon the project should your eggs be cold (also, cold eggs are easier to separate, so you must take that into account). The slightest amount of fat will keep the eggs from gaining volume, so make sure your bowl is completely free of oil residues and that no yolk taints the whites. (The easiest way to remove a bit of yolk from the whites is to use a half eggshell to scoop it out.)
Beat the whites by hand, using a whisk, or with a handheld or standing beater or mixer. Adding a pinch of salt or cream of tartar stabilizes the mixture. And stop beating as soon as the whites hold a soft peak, one that droops a bit.

Re: Info On Souffles - Mare749 - 10-18-2007

Billy, that's the same guy who wrote the article for the NY Times about the 18 hour bread recipe. I just love how he makes things sound less intimidating.

Maryann