Cuisine at home Forums
Going bananas! - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Going bananas! (/showthread.php?tid=40904)

Going bananas! - labradors - 10-22-2007

Well, that girl (with thyroid cancer) and her mother are in the States. Before I took them to the airport, however, the family gave me a thank-you gift. Of course, the people we help this way are very poor, so when they give something, it is not much, but it is from the heart.

What they gave me was 15 POUNDS of guineos! Those are about 3/4 the length of regular bananas, but a little fatter. They are also sweet and VERY tasty.

So now I have 15 pounds of RIPE bananas to use up. Fortunately, bananas freeze well, so they won't go bad.

Aside from the typical banana bread, what special, tested recipes do you folks have for lots of bananas?

Thanks!

Re: Going bananas! - luvnit - 10-22-2007

I know this recipe was posted by Billy, but it is actually Maryann's recipe. (I am still fairly new so I am not exactly sure who Maryann is yet.) Anyway I remembered this post and the picture looked so good. If you search for 'banana' in the archives, you'll find a picture of this. The post is called Sugarbrown's Mama's.... I don't remember the rest. You will find it. They said the recipe was fabulous! About a cup of banana... Make two and freeze one!

SugarBrown's Mama's Mama's Banana Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Cakes-Pies-Cookies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup shortening..(can be liquid oil or butter)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2)
4 tablespoons sour milk (I use 3 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon vinegar)
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups flour
1 pinch salt (1/8 teaspoon)
1 cup nuts (optional) -- chopped

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix all together..Bake in a lightly greased rectangular cake pan (I usually use a pyrex lasagna pan) for about 30 minutes or use the ole' toothpick method.

I frost it with a cream/butter/powdered sugar conglomerate!

NOTES : This recipe is sooooooooooo good, that if you haven't made it you are depriving yourself and your family. I don't even frost it, there is no need. A BIG thank you to SugarBrown for posting it. I toothpick it at about 20-25 minutes when I use the cake pans.

Re: Going bananas! - labradors - 10-22-2007

Ah, yes. I remember seeing this, but had forgotten it, since there were a couple "SugarBrown" recipes.

Definitely sounds like one worth trying.

So far, all I've done is to make the batter for the following recipe (from another site) for Banana Pancakes. I'll cook them at lunchtime.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 ripe bananas, mashed
Directions
  1. Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas.
  2. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.
  3. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides; serve hot.

Re: Going bananas! - cjs - 10-22-2007

well, a banana is awfully good in a Harvey Wallbanger...
bananas foster
or this is a great dessert -

FIVE-SPICE PINEAPPLE BANANA SPLIT

Pineapple Topping:
8 ounces can crushed pineapple, in natural juice, undrained
1/4 cup water
1 T. sugar
1 teaspoon grated ginger root
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
----------
3 bananas
1 pint vanilla or coconut ice cream
1/3 cup purchased chocolate syrup
1/3 cup Zippy Ginger Syrup (See Below)
Whipped cream for serving
1/2 cup glazed or roasted walnuts

To make the pineapple topping, combine all the igred. in a small saucepan.
Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens slightly, about 5 min.

To assemble the desserts: Divide the bananas among 4 bowls.
Tope each one with 1 scoop of ice cream, 1/4 of the warm pineapple topping, a few tablespoons of the chocolate and ginger syrups, and a dollop of whipped cream.

Top each dessert with one-fourth of the glazed walnuts and serve.

ZIPPY GINGER SYRUP
This spicy syrup can be added to fresh fruit for a quick dessert, or mixed with rum for a cocktail. The cayenne pepper intensifies the ginger flavor and gives the syrup dimension.

1 cup coarsely chopped ginger
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

In blender, combine the ginger and 1 cup of the water.
Whirl till smooth, then pour into a heavy 2-qt. pan.
Add all the remaining ingred. and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, till the sugar dissolves, about 10 min.

Remove from the heat, let cool, and pour thru a strainer into an airtight container. Store in frig for up to 2 months.

Description:
"a Martin Yan recipe from Quick and Easy Book"

Re: Going bananas! - Mare749 - 10-22-2007

Laura, that recipe for banana cake is not my recipe, although I wish I could take credit for it since it's wonderful. It belongs to Sugarbrown, another forum member, and I got it from Billy.

Maryann

Re: Going bananas! - luvnit - 10-22-2007

Oh yes, I think I have seen the Sugarbrown name. Oops! Thanks for clarifying

Re: Going bananas! - Lorraine - 10-22-2007

I think is my all time favourite.

Do a double thickness of aluminum foil, big enough to fit the bananas. Cut the banana in half lenghtwise. Place in foil, and gather up the sides a bit. You can now add whatever you want. Butter is very good and a necessity, brown sugar, dark rum, a touch of vanilla, chocolate chips, candied pecans. The world is your banana oyster!!! Fold in the tops and sides well. I usually put them on the grill on low or even off when I've taken the main off. When ready to eat, open the packages, add some whipped creamed, or a scoop of ice cream.

Re: Going bananas! - pjcooks - 10-22-2007

That sounds like a perfect dessert, Lorraine! I can taste it just reading about it

PJ

Re: Going bananas! - esgunn - 10-22-2007

My kids would LOVE those - reminds me of another dessert I was going to make, but never did. Some type of grilled banana smores weren't they? Hmmmm....

Re: Going bananas! - labradors - 10-22-2007

Yum! More good suggestions!

BTW, the pancakes were excellent, with a very intense banana flavour.