Cuisine at home Forums
Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review (/showthread.php?tid=41324)

Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - cjs - 10-27-2007

Sorry it took me so long to get this posted - my scanners not working!!

Beef Tenderloin Filets
With Garlic Spinach & Balsamic Reduction
Issue #66, page 31
4 servings

Coat; Sear in 2 T. olive oil:
4 beef tenderloin filets, trimmed, 2” thick (6-8-oz. each)
1/4 cup peppercorn blend, coarsely crushed
Kosher Salt

Deglaze with; Swirl in:
1 cup balsamic vinegar
2 T. unsalted butter, cold

Sauté in 1 T. olive oil; add:
1 T. garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 lb. fresh spinach, blanched, squeezed of excess water

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Coat both sides of filets with peppercorns and salt, then sear on 1 side in 2 T. oil in an ovenproof sauté pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
Sear filets on their sides, then turn over, transfer pan to the oven, and roast 8-9 minutes for medium-rare.
Remove pan from the oven, transfer steaks to a plate, and tent with foil.
Return pan to stovetop over medium-high heat.

Deglaze pan with vinegar; simmer until reduced to 1/2 cup and the consistency of maple syrup, about 3 minutes. Swirl in butter; set aside.

Sauté garlic and pepper flakes in 1 T. oil in a second large sauté pan until fragrant, about 30 second.
Add spinach; toss to coat and warm thru.
Divide spinach among 4 serving plates, top each with a filet, and drizzle with sauce.

C@H notes: For the balsamic reduction, go with a reasonably priced grocery store brand. Take care not to over-reduce it, or it’ll taste too strong. If you go too far, just add a little water to thin it.
------
Roasted Potatoes
With Blue Cheese & Chives
Makes 6 cups

Toss together:
2 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold or red potatoes, cut into chunks
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Finish with:
1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Preheat oven to 425 F.; coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Toss potatoes, oil, salt & pepper together in a bowl, then spread on prepared baking sheet.
Roast 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a serving bowl.

Finish with cheese and chives.

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - Trixxee - 10-27-2007

This will be my first time participating. The idea is to make the recipes sometime before the 12th and then everyone review it then? And not until then?

I immediately honed in on these recipes when I got the issue - I think two of my husband's favorite foods are filet and bleu cheese.

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - Mare749 - 10-27-2007

Trixxee, that's exactly right. We make the meal whenever we want to and review on the designated day. Glad you are going to join in. It's a lot of fun to try a new dish and they are almost always really good.

Jean, I've been in and out a lot this week. Is there a dessert or any other sides on the menu?

Maryann

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - Old Bay - 10-27-2007

We're in.

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - Roxanne 21 - 10-28-2007

This is a definite for us as well (but then what isn't--- )

This will be a PERFECT dinner (hopefully) for Peter's birthday on the 9th-----

Thanks for posting Jean and welcome to the table Trixxee---this is always fun!!! IMHO

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - cjs - 10-28-2007

Laura didn't choose a dessert...and I'm choosing to do a 'bad' hors instead of dessert. Everyone's on their own, unless someone suggests something....(then I'll probably have to do it also )

So, we have a couple of Scorpios, eh Roxanne? And of course, MS Lorraine joins the fray in November also.(geez, just looked at the list - Lori, emmasmum, & of course Tammy)

Trixxee, Roy's favorite too - so looks like he's going to have all his favorites within a two week period. His choice for birthday dinner is duck, rissotto and bumbleberry cobbler...pig out time!

Re: Dinner Recipes for November 12 Review - luvnit - 10-28-2007

If anyone wants to choose a dessert, I will probably have to Make it too... Even if it's the pumpkin cheesecake that I already made. I have to make two more of those anywaySmile Requested from others it was soooo good.

But remember... the cheesecake must be done at least a day ahead of the meal