Cuisine at home Forums
An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? (/showthread.php?tid=41702)

An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? - Harborwitch - 11-01-2007

Yesterday I got up and started making Bob's lunch. Egg salad sandwiches were planned - oh cr@p! no onions, I mean NOT an onion in the house (how did that happen??? ). I had some celery that I diced up, some dill relish (which he loves), and some leftover peas. Hmmmmmmm. Tossed them in and he loved it. Although he did say that I should just thaw and drain them next time so they'd be even crisper! I just used dill, onion powder, salt and pepper.

Okay that was the idea that worked!

Now, Jennifer's dog, Starfish, had a digestive problem that called for several days of cottage cheese and rice. One must understand that Jennifer does not like cottage cheese and has no idea what all the different kinds mean. So she gets ready to fix Star's dinner and low and behold it's cottage cheese with fruit in it. (Not my favorite, either)

My question is: Remember the old Cottage Cheese Dill Bread?? I loved that, Bob loved that. Sooooo I'm thinking - dump the dill and onions and make a "breakfast bread"???? Hmmmm??? Any thoughts are welcome - I've got the urge to bake, it's a dingy foggy day!

Re: An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? - MUSICMAKER - 11-01-2007

Sharon, I've made breakfast "pockets" -- my take on the national "HotPockets". . . .only the concept is used. I make a rich bread, like Challah -- egg and butter rich, and sweet, soft and heavenly! Don't braid it as is traditional...divide dough into 8-10 pieces, shape into a rectangle, fill and roll. The fillings are endless and I base them on who is in the mood for what! A scrambled egg and saute sage sausage and vidalia onion -- that is the fav.

The elegance of a tender, lacey Brioche is a second #1. Oh...have a recipe for a Brie Brioche, since you are a huge Brie lover. Will pull that recipe out for you and post it here.....Brioche is endless with possibilities.

Have done the egg and sausage thang with this dough, too; however, you can go both ways with this as well. Can turn this into the "sweets" for breakfast, which some prefer vs. traditional eggs and bacon. Have made this into "French Toast on the Run". It was one of the favs of the boys....rich, REAL maple syrup, the warm smell of cinnamon...they knew their day was starting out special!

Have also made mini loaves seasoned sweet or savory which could be sliced, toasted and buttered, cream cheesed up, other cheeses, cut into "sticks", toasted, and used for dipping into maple syyrup or sprinkled with homemade vanilla sugar....

OK, now I'm hungry!!!

.......It's a good idea and the possibilites are endless.

Here is the recipe for the Brie Brioche, if you are interested!
BRIE BRIOCHE

This is a large and showy dish that could easily take center stage at a party for a crowd and is just as good at breakfast or brunch! The brioche is made in the bread machine, fitted into a springform pan and wrapped around perfectly ripe Brie. The Brie is topped with onion halves, caramelized onions!, and finished with another round of brioche braid! It is then baked to a perfect golden brown! You need to plan ahead, though, because this is a 24 to 36 hour make ahead recipe. Well worth the wait!!!

NOTES: This is a 24 to 36 hour make in advance recipe, for both the bread and the filling.

THE ONIONS AND FILLING

6 to 8 very large mild onions (about 3 pounds), preferably Spanish or Vidalia variety
1 stick (4 ounces or 1/2 cup) UNSALTED BUTTER, cut into 4 pieces

DIRECTIONS:

1. Start the onions a day in advance.
2. Cut off both the root and stem ends of each onion, peel, and leave whole.
3. Put the onions and butter in a slow cooker, set the pot to high (or just turn it on if your pot doesn’t have a heat control). Cook the onions for 24 hours, or until they are a deep golden brown. To get a really rich color, you may want to cook the onions even longer. (If you do not have a slow cooker, you can place the onions and butter in a roasting pan and bake at 275 degrees F, stirring occasionally, until they are deeply browned and caramelized)
4. Turn off the pot and remove the cover. Allow the onions to cool in the liquid.
5. Lift the onions out of the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a colander, set over a bowl, topped with a plate, and weight the onions down. (A can placed on top an inverted salad plate will work). You want to extract as much liquid as possible. Your goal is to drain the onions, not mash them. So take care. Let drain for at least 1 hour.
6. Remove the onions to a cutting board and with a very sharp, thin knife, cut them in half horizontally.
7. Save the liquid for flavoring soups or stews.

(NOTE: The onions can be prepared up to a week ahead and kept covered in the frig. They can also be wrapped airtight and frozen for 3 months)

BRIOCHE INGREDIENTS:

1 tablespoon active dry yeast – NOT rapid rise!!!
3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
3-1/4 cups unbleached AP flour (or a SCANT more, if needed, depending on humidity, etc.)
2 sticks (equivalent to 1 cup or 1/2 pound or 8 ounces) of UNSALTED BUTTER (NOT margarine), melted and slightly cooled
3 large eggs
1/3 cup water

1 large egg, beaten with 1/2 cup heavy cream, for wash
One 9 inch wheel ripe Brie

BRIOCHE DIRECTIONS:

1. Start the brioche at least 24 to 36 hours ahead.
2. Put all ingredients for the dough into a bread machine and program the machine for “dough” or “manual”. Press Start.
3. Expect the dough to be sticky at the start but to become less so during kneading. If the dough, which will be very soft, does not form a ball after the first few minutes of kneading, add 1 tablespoon more flour. . . NO MORE. Some of the dough will stick to the bottom of the pan and all of the dough will seem very loose – this is just as it is supposed to be. The dough will become firmer when it is chilled.
4. After the final knead, remove the dough from the machine and put it into a plastic bag. Refrig for 24 to 36 hours. At least 4 hours before you want to serve the Brie Brioche, butter a 9 inch springform pan.

ASSEMBLY:

1. Turn the cold brioche dough out onto a lightly floured work surface.
2. Cut off 1/3 of the dough and roll it into a 12 inch circle about 1/16th inch thick.
3. Fit the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan, pushing the dough out from the center so that it covers the bottom and goes up the sides of the pan a little bit.
4. Brush the sides of the dough with a little of the egg wash.
5. Center the Brie on the dough.
6. Arrange the onions, cut side down, on top of the Brie.
7. If you have some onions left over, you can either reserve them for another use or make a second layer of onions over the Brie.
8. Cut off 1/3 of the remaining dough and roll it into a 14 inch circle.
9. Center the dough over the onion covered Brie and work your way around the dough, tucking the sides in to meet the bottom piece of dough. The top and sides will probably be bumpy – don’t worry about them as they will even out as the dough rises.
10. Roll the remaining piece of dough into a strip about 30 inches long and 4 to 6 inches wide.
11. Make 3 cuts the long way, leaving the lengths attached at the top.
12. Starting at the attached end, braid the strips together, then position the braid around the edge of the brioche, like a wreath.

THE RISE:

1. Brush the dough with the egg wash and place the pan, uncovered, to rise at room temp until doubled, about 40 minutes.
2. While the dough is rising, position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat to 425 degrees F.

BAKING:

1. Bake the brioche for 15 minutes, then lower the temp to 375 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes. If, as sometimes happens with very buttery breads, the top starts to turn very brown before the baking time is completed, cover it loosely with a foil tent.
2. Cool the brioche for at least 30 minutes before serving, or cool it to room temp and serve.

STORING:

1. The dish is best served the day it is made. Leftovers can be covered and stored overnight in the frig and brought to room temp before serving.

YIELD: One 9 inch springform

Re: An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? - LuvFud - 11-01-2007

You could use it for a danish fill? Just add a little more Jam to get the extra zip.

Good Luck,
AJ

Re: An idea that worked . . and just wondering????? - cjs - 11-01-2007

fill some crepes with it -

this is on MasterCoook -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Triple Cheese Bread (1-Pound Recipe)

1/2 cup water (70º to 80ºF)
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 cup creamed Cottage cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon margarine or butter -- softened
2 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon Fleischmann's® Rapid Rise Yeast

SELECT loaf size recommended by your bread machine manufacturer.

MEASURE ingredients exactly and place in bread machine pan in the order that the bread machine manufacturer suggests. Be sure the yeast does not come in contact with the water or the cottage cheese. Select the lightest crust setting.

PROCESS on basic bake cycle (do not use delayed cycle). Remove baked bread from pan and cool on wire rack.

Source:
"Fleischmann's Yeast"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.breadworld.com/index.html"
Yield:
"1 Loaf"
- - -

Oh man, I completely forgot about this one!

CAPT.'S CHAIR CHEESE DIP

Recipe By :Bon Appetit, 8/81

16 oz, small curd cottage cheese
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 oz, bleu cheese, crumbled
1 stick butter, melted
3 T. beef stock base
2 tsp. sweet paprika

Combine first 3 ingred. in a large bowl & mix well.
Blend butter, stock base & paprika in a separate bowl, then add cheese mix & stir til thoroughly combined.
Turn into serving bowl & refrigerate.
Can be made one day ahead.

NOTES : Makes approx. 3 cups

----

and then there is always Cottage cheese patties - instead of savory, make them with the fruit...
COTTAGE CHEESE PATTES

1 cup cottage cheese, 2% fat
1 cup bread crumbs (panko)
1 cup oatmeal (no instant in those days)
2 teaspoons onion powder (or couple Tablespoons minced onion)
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 large eggs
salt and pepper
1 can tomato soup, condensed -- or Mushroom soup

Combine all ingred. except soup.
Form into patties & brown on both sides. (Spray sauté pan w/Pam & maybe add a little olive oil or butter)
Place patties in baking dish; cover w/soup (mixed w/1/2 can water).
Bake 350 approx. 30 min., or till bubbly,

---

Now, the question is, do you have enuf cottage cheese to do some playing, Sharon?????

Re: An idea that worked . . and just wondering???? - Harborwitch - 11-01-2007

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Jean there are two of the medium containers - I think 1 pounders.

I'm planning on doing some playing and I'll post whatever comes out.