Cuisine at home Forums
Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. (/showthread.php?tid=42265)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - Harborwitch - 11-11-2007

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but we've been out and watching a dog show on Animal Planet.

The 4 tsp of dill is right - but if you aren't crazy about dill you can use less. Our whole family (other than #2 daughter, Jennifer) loves dill so sometimes I'll even use more.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - MUSICMAKER - 11-11-2007

No problem, Sharon. Thanks for the clarification. We like dill, too, but just wanted to make sure this wasn't a typo! We are definitely having this for dinner tomorrow so will let you know the "verdict"!!! I'm sure it is going to be a hit, especially with #2...he just LOVES meat and gravy dishes!!! He'll probably want his usual veggie, green beans, with this!!!

Thanks, again!!!

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - labradors - 11-11-2007

Quote:

The 4 tsp of dill is right - but if you aren't crazy about dill you can use less.

Ouch! Hadn't paid THAT close attention yet, since I'm not quite ready to make these. Just how important IS the dill? That's one of the only herbs I don't like very much. If the rest of the ingredients blend with it well enough, I may be able to use less, as you mentioned. Otherwise, how do you think tarragon would work as a substitute, perhaps?

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - cjs - 11-11-2007

coriander goes will with cardamom, Lab. Dill is not my favorite either, so I'd probably use a lot less or go with a ittle coriander.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - labradors - 11-11-2007

Love coriander. Certainly worth a try.

Was just thinking, perhaps the "bitterness" of tarragon could be similar to that of dill, but would be something I like.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - Harborwitch - 11-11-2007

Laura, what did you think??? I think the dill and the cardamom work so well together that you don't notice the dill so much. You could reduce the dill.

Thinking of eating them Bob and I are thinking maybe lots of FRESH chopped parsely could work. And . . thinking of my Grandmother - she would more than likely have used the curly parsley because that was all there was. Tarragon - I don't think so. Diffrent flavor profile.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - luvnit - 11-12-2007

I just love dill and yes, the dill and cardamom work well together. I think if you don't personally care for dill, cut it down (maybe even in half), but I am not sure that tarragon would work here. Just doesn't seem like that would work.

Parsley... yes, that would work.

I added a little lemon juice to play up the dill even more. Wonderful recipe. Better than the C@H meatballs that I made a while back.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - Harborwitch - 11-12-2007

The lemon juice is a good idea, that would work especially well with ground chicken too.

The family joke is that my mother couldn't cook if she didn't have dill, personally I thought it was Hidden Ranch Dressing for a loooooooong time (it was on everything but the cream of wheat!).

I'm glad you liked them Laura! When I'm feeling too tired to actually make the meatballs I just cook the meat, onions, etc. (leaving out the bread crumbs and cream) and make like a Swedish "hamburger gravy". Feeds the craving without having to make the meatballs.

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - MUSICMAKER - 11-12-2007

Sharon, we had these for dinner yesterday and I had some for lunch today. A great dish!!! Lost count of how many meatballs #2 consumed after 7 -- he probably had close to a dozen! He's a growing boy, don't cha know (6'4", 180#). Same with the egg noodles, which is what I made, along with green beans.

The amount of dill I was concerned about wasn't bad. I started out with half but ended up using what the recipe called for. This is definitely a dish we will have again! Thanks for sharing!!!

Re: Grandmother Pearl's Swedish Meatballs. - SDRecipeGirl - 11-15-2007

Wow, do these look absolutely scrumptious!! My Dad's side of the family is 100% Swedish. We had these growing up when we were at Grandma's house. Sadly, I never got her recipe.

I'm definitely printing this one out to try (when I have a weak moment in my diet!)

Thanks for sharing (good memories).