Cuisine at home Forums
T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? (/showthread.php?tid=42342)

T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - cjs - 11-09-2007

I think there is a HUGE zucchini lurking out in the garden, so I may have to stuff something in it (NOT PEANUT BUTTER ) unless you all come up with something more interesting.

or I guess I could make the Review dinner tonight...hmmm, that sounds good.

For three years I've been trying to get to the local Lutefisk dinner that the Sons of Norway put on - and every year something else is going on and we can't go. Yesterday, I did a really rude thing, but I just found out the dinner is this Saturday and we'd been invited to Billy's bro & sis-in-law's for dinner. I called and told them my sad tale of woe and if they minded if we came another nite - we're all retired, so what the heck, one nights as good as another, right? I sure hope so, anyway they were very gracious and we'll be going Wednesday night. Was that really tacky? Do I really want to know if you all think that's tacky?

What are you all up to?

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - Trixxee - 11-09-2007

Or you could use the zucchini for stuffing! I made some sausage and zucchini stuffed peppers a while ago that were pretty good. Pretty carb friendly if you're into that kind of thing - no rice in them. You could also make those zucchini cakes that are in the latest issue.

We're pretty dull tonight - a simple pot of chili (with ground beef). It's going to be pretty dreary here for So. California so it'll fit right in anyway.

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - bbally - 11-09-2007

Might hollow that bad boy out. Build a Chorizo, pepper, corn mix, spice it southwestern, do up a spiced egg custard and roast it off til it sets.

I used acorn squash but Zuch would work as well, mine came out like this:

[Image: acornpan.jpg]

[Image: cooked.jpg]

[Image: open.jpg]

[Image: plated.jpg]

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - farnfam - 11-09-2007

MMMMmmmm, those look nice! bbally
Jean, you could slice the zuke on a mandoline and make zuchinni linguine to toss in a nice garlic and oil sauce.
Cis

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - Harborwitch - 11-09-2007

Rude would have been threatening to take the giant zuch. to them to cook! Lamb and rice with lots of Greek seasonings would be good too.

Let us know how the Lutefisk is. That and salt cod have been lurking at the back of my mind (Danish genes again???) and I have always wondered - but never had the chance.

Tonight is going to be appy night. I'm going to work on the first trial of the chili d'arbol wings, maybe some achiote pork flautas, and ?????

Tomorrow night we're going to the Barrel club party at Delicato. Should be a ton of fun, meeting the winemakers, other club members, and lots of great wine & food pairings. I'll be sure to take the digital notebook and pen so I can take notes.

Today I'm going to try candying some jalapenos to dip in chocolate - and must freeze more habaneros the bush is still loaded!!!

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - cjs - 11-09-2007

"unless you all come up with something more interesting." - guess I didn't word that correctly - I have plenty of ideas and goodies in the frig for a stuffed zuc.

I meant if you all mention what you're making and it sounds much more interesting than the zuc. like...."maybe some achiote pork flautas" hmmmmm.

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - MUSICMAKER - 11-09-2007

Yummmmmm.......looks delish, BBally!

It has been unseasonally cold here this entire week. Made a huge pot of chili last night which is dinner tonight along with a salad. . . eying the one in the Holiday Menus issue, page 22. Didn't have the honey mustard the recipe calls for nor the bacon -- instead, used Boar's Head cranberry mustard purchased last week from the deli (used it on turkey sandwiches...yummy!). Added a teaspoon of clover honey and used prosciutto de Parma instead of the bacon. The dressing turned out great!

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - Harborwitch - 11-09-2007

Last night was achiote pork tostadas on a salad with a cilantro pumpkin seed dressing. Yum. There's just a perfect size hunk for flautas left.

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - pjcooks - 11-09-2007

Quote:

Was that really tacky? Do I really want to know if you all think that's tacky?

Nope, not tacky, you're talking friends here, not the Queen of England or something (I don't know why I didn't say the President)

Question isn't, do you want to know, it's, do you care?

Have a guilt-free good time!

PJ

Re: T.G.I.F.! What's For Dinner? - luvnit - 11-09-2007

Quote:

I called and told them my sad tale of woe... Was that really tacky? Do I really want to know if you all think that's tacky?

I think you were honest... and you are all retired, so postponing is easier... things like that come up and it sounds like they understand. I know I would understand if I were them. Let's just hope the Lutefisk is good

Now if you show up at their house and they serve you frozen pizza... you will know you offended them.