Cuisine at home Forums
Pretzel rolls - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pretzel rolls (/showthread.php?tid=42464)

Pretzel rolls - labradors - 11-11-2007

As mentioned in another thread, the restaurant at which I used to work had rolls that were made from pretzel dough. Unfortunately, they were made by a third-party, artisan baker (back when "artisan bread" actually meant something), so I do not have the recipe for them.

Lately, I have been thinking about those rolls again, and have done some Internet searching, where I did find some recipes. This one seems to be the best of the lot, but I haven't tried it yet.

If any of you have other recipes for these goodies, please share them here, especially if they are recipes you have already tried.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/3 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons warm milk
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/3 cup light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • kosher salt or pretzel salt
  • 2 quarts cold water
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
Instructions
  1. In a small bowl if using a bread machine, or in the bowl of a standing electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, mix a 1/3 cup of the warm water (105-115 degrees) with the yeast and let stand until foamy.
  2. Add the remaining cup of warm water along with milk, sugar & melted butter and swirl to dissolve the sugar. (If using a bread machine add mixture to bread machine at this point and continue). Add flour and mix on dough cycle or med-low speed. Remove dough from bread machine once it forms a nice a firm, pliable dough ball. Add more flour if necessary.
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured table and knead for 2 minutes. Roll into a 2 foot long log and cut into 12 even pieces. Cover dough with plastic and a damp cloth and let sit for 10 minutes.
  4. Pat dough into rolls or form knots and arrange on a lightly floured surface about an inch apart and cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap. Let the pretzels rest for an additional 30 minutes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
  6. In a large stockpot, bring the cold water to a rolling boil and add baking soda.
  7. Drop two rolls into the boiling water and boil for no more then 30 seconds, turning once. Carefully remove with tongs or slotted spoon and hold above pot and let drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
  8. Arrange rolls on the oiled baking sheets and bake on the upper and middle racks of the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until browned all over; shift pans from top to bottom and back to front halfway through, for even baking.
  9. Let rolls cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack.
  10. Serve warm or at room temperature.

{Source: http://www.recipezaar.com/169790)

Re: Pretzel rolls - cjs - 11-11-2007

Here's another version - I've not made this one (yet), but the source, Fincher, is an old friend who's recipes I've always fround to be spot on.

Fincher
I make hamburger buns with the dough, So they are pretty much Soft pretzel rolls. But of course you can roll them out like pretzels too.

It involves using beer, you may substitute milk or water for the beer

3 rounded cups bread flour
1 Tablespoon sugar (brown would be nice)
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp baking powder
3 Tsp olive oil
1/2 cup warm beer of choice
1/2 cup water warm (97-100F)
egg wash
toppers
baking soda

bloom yeast in water for 10 minutes
Pulse flour, sugar, salt, baking powder in robot coupe, or simply sift.
add dry ingredients to mixer, then add wet ingredients, mix with paddle till incorporated, then mix with dough hook for about 3 minutes, adding flour if necessary. You don't need to go to the window stage for pretzels. You can also knead by hand

form dough into nice smooth dough ball, toss in oil in bowl, cover and let stand at room temp for an hour or until it nears doubling in size

Place large pot of water to boil on stove

Punch down dough and divide into 8-10 equal sizes, roll into ropes about 18 inches long and twist each rope into a pretzel shape. or if you lazy and don't give a darn just roll into ropes, and make pretzel sticks

cover and let pretzels rise again (about 30 mintues)

add baking soda to boiling water, you need about 2 Tablespoons per gallon

slide pretzels into baking soda water and let cook for about 2 minutes, remove and place on sheet pan

brush with egg wash then top with either large crystal salt, or toasted sesame seeds, or topping of you choice

bake at 400F for around 10-15 minutes, but monitor them around 10 so they don't burn.

optional - brush LIGHTLY with butter when they emerge from oven

Fincher’s note: I'd like to add if you don't use beer, instead of proofing at room temperature, try cold proofing in a refrigerator for at least 24 hours, this gives the dough better flavor, this can also be done with the dough containing the beer, but the flavor enhancement will be less noticeable, because the beer has similar flavors to that which is achieved by the yeast.

Re: Pretzel rolls - labradors - 11-11-2007

Quote:

Fincher, is an old friend who's recipes I've always fround to be spot on.

Yep. He always has some of the best messages and advice on Chef2Chef. Bohica is really good, too. Of course, other C@H members are also there, but everyone here would already know them, so I just mentioned a couple C2C members that are NOT also on C@H.

Thanks for the recipe.

Re: Pretzel rolls - cjs - 11-11-2007

I love Bohica - Ross and I almost met up last summer, but life got in the way... He's got lots of great ideas

Re: Pretzel rolls - MUSICMAKER - 11-11-2007

Labs, the Fincher recipe posted here is close to the one I have with the only exceptions being to use "dark" beer, and the addition of some malt, which is used in making "real" pretzels. Other than that, the recipe is the same.

Re: Pretzel rolls - Mare749 - 11-11-2007

I wondered about Fincher's pretzel rolls also. Copied that recipe ages ago and then never made them. They really sound so good, maybe this week now that the windows are almost done!

Maryann

Re: Pretzel rolls - cjs - 11-12-2007

Maryann, are you pleased with this latest project on your house? What's next?

- off topic for a sec.

Re: Pretzel rolls - Mare749 - 11-12-2007

Quote:

Maryann, are you pleased with this latest project on your house? What's next?

- off topic for a sec.

I'm absolutely thrilled, Jean. The windows are a huge improvement and look so pretty. Next project will be something small, maybe just some painting.

Maryann