Cuisine at home Forums
Flavored Vodkas - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Flavored Vodkas (/showthread.php?tid=42738)

Flavored Vodkas - cjs - 11-15-2007

My Lord, the choices we have at the liquor store now!! Last weekend I saw 'Twist of Blueberry' and grabbed it! In the little attachment, there was Blueberry Martini instructions -

1.5 oz. Smirnoff Blueberry flavored vodka
1 oz. white or red cranberry juice
1 oz. tonic
squeeze of lime

Shake, strain, pour and garnish with a blueberry.

Oh my, this is a delightful little drink!!

So, my question to you is what flavors have you all gotten and what have you done with them. I think they'd be a ball to play with. I'm off to check out www.smirnoff.com

Re: Flavored Vodkas - DFen911 - 11-15-2007

Why would anyone ruin perfectly good vodka with flavors...well unless it's Absolut. That stuff is just lighter fluid.

PS - I'm a vodka snob

Re: Flavored Vodkas - labradors - 11-15-2007

Okay. Here's something that will probably offend the snobs and purists, but will delight others: a recipe using vodka to make a copycat of DiSaronno.

DiSaronno

Ingredients
  • 1/2 Cup Granulated sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 Cup Very hot water
  • 1/2 Cup Corn syrup
  • 1 1/2 Cup 80-Proof vodka
  • 1 Tbsp Almond extract
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Combine the hot water and the sugars in a medium glass pitcher or bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add corn syrup and stir well.
  2. Add vodka and flavorings and stir. Store in a sealed container.
Makes 3 cups.
-------------

I made some of this for a friend who likes DiSaronno, and he loved it. Plus, it cost a lot less than DiSaronno, especially here in Honduras.

Re: Flavored Vodkas - cjs - 11-15-2007

thanks lab - that's one 'knock off' I don't have!

A vodka snob.....hmmmm, then you stay out of my blueberry vodka, MS Denise!!

Re: Flavored Vodkas - labradors - 11-15-2007

Quote:

thanks lab - that's one 'knock off' I don't have!

Do you happen to have a tried & true knock off for Bailey's? I've seen some around, but have not tried them yet. May as well use one that someone I know has already tested (if you have, that is).

Re: Flavored Vodkas - Lorraine - 11-15-2007

We bought 2 big bottles of Absolut Citron a few years ago and put them in the cold room. I think they're still there! Shows how much vodka we drink!

Re: Flavored Vodkas - pjcooks - 11-15-2007

I've got one for you, Labs. I may have posted it here before. Haven't made it in years, I remember I liked it then.

Will go dig it up for you. With a name like Murphy, I should have one, right?

PJ

Re: Flavored Vodkas - pjcooks - 11-15-2007

Lorraine, 2 BIG bottles still there??? Nothing like Citron and lemonade during the summer, in a tall frosty glass and lobster salad rolls. I'm missing summer already, although it hit the high 60's today here in the Granite State.

PJ

Re: Flavored Vodkas - farnfam - 11-15-2007

Once upon a time in Mexico we found a bottle of Lime Vodka marked $40pesos (about $4US). We bought two,and they were wonderful. A few days later we went back for more and it was now marked $140pesos, ($14US). Should have known it was a mistake and bought more than 2 when we had the chance
Cis

Re: Flavored Vodkas - cjs - 11-15-2007

Here you go lab - this is one my mother and I used to make, drink and enjoy!!!!

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM LIQUOR

2 eggs
1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp. chocolate syrup
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1/3 tsp. lemon extract
1/4 tsp. instant coffee
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 3/4 c Irish whiskey

Place all ingredients in blender; blend well.
Bottle and let mellow in refrigerator at least one week before serving.

We found this best after 1-2 weeks. Store in refrigerator.
Liqueur may be served at room temperature by removing from refrigerator an hour or two before serving.