Cuisine at home Forums
Turkey brining recipe - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Turkey brining recipe (/showthread.php?tid=42910)

Turkey brining recipe - rdleeper - 11-17-2007

I seemed to have lost my copy that contained the Turkey brining and glazing recipe. It was either the Sept/Oct 2006/2007 issue.

Does anyone have this recipe?

Thanks
- Doug

Re: Turkey brining recipe - bjcotton - 11-17-2007

I looked for a Turkey Bringing recipe in the history files, but couldn't find one. If it was in one of the last two issues, it hasn't made it into the files yet.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - labradors - 11-17-2007

Quote:

I looked for a Turkey Bringing recipe...

1. Call a friend.
  2. Ask him to bring a turkey.
  3. Wait for the friend and turkey to arrive.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - Old Bay - 11-17-2007

I believe this will work--
2 C Kosher salt, 1 1/2 cup sugar, 2 Gal water--bring to a boil, stir until dissolved. Remove from heat-throw in some black peppercorns, coriander seeds, chopped onions, carrots, celery, and a couple of bay leaves--cover refrigerate 6 hours or so--strain--pour over cold turkey--be sure the bird is covered with the brine, or rotate it every hour or so--cover and refrigerate overnite. Remove, drain completly, and pat dry--move to your roasting pan--I don't know about a glaze--I like this with a capon too.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - Old Bay - 11-17-2007

The December 06 issue has this turkey glaze--sounds good--
1 C pomegranate juice
2 T molasses
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T dry mustard
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer over med heat 2 min. Brush the turkey with the glaze every 30 min or so after the breast meat reaches 150. Good luck. Happy turkey!

Re: Turkey brining recipe - pjcooks - 11-17-2007

Very good, Labs!!

PJ

Re: Turkey brining recipe - cjs - 11-18-2007

My brine is a little different from Old Bays, but whatever you use, may I add a couple of suggestions - you don't need to heat the brine for the sugars/salt to dissolve, this saves a lot of time and utensil clean up. Us a whisk and just whip all together.

If the turkey, which it must be, is submerged under water, there is no need to rotate it during the brining. A small cooler that the turkey will fit in is a good 'vessel' to use and lay a large casserole or platter over the top of the turkey to keep it submerged.

I rinse after brining, pat dry and continue with your preparations.

P.S. a good way to calculate the amount of water you need (thus how much brine to mix up) is to lay the turkey in the 'vessel' you will be using, keep track of how many qts. or gallons of water it takes to cover the turkey. Remove the turkey, figure how much salt/sugars/seasoning needed for the amount of water you have, then add to the water and whisk like heck til it's dissolved. Add the turkey and weigh it down and you're good to go. A cooler and ice water works great - it will stay cool and it's not taking up all the room in the fridge.

Good luck.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - Jer - 11-18-2007

I keep this copy for the Holidays. It is Issue No. 48 December 2004.
I always use the Molasses Lacquered recipe.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - Harborwitch - 11-18-2007

Cider Brined Turkey

2 quarts apple cider or juice
1 pound brown sugar (light or dark)
1 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher salt
3 quarts cold water
3 oranges, quartered
4 ounces fresh ginger, thinly sliced
15 whole cloves
6 bay leaves
6 large garlic cloves, crushed
(You can substitute 3/4 c. Morton kosher salt or 1/2 c. table salt for the Diamond Crystal.)

Combine apple juice (or cider), brown sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve. Boil for 1 minute, remove from hat, let mixture come to room temperature, th refrigrate to 40 degrees F.

In a large non reactive container, combine the apple cider or juice mixture with the remaining ingredients. When adding the oranges squeeze each piece to release the juice into the container, then drop in the peel.

The rest of this turkey uses Jean's Brown Sugar & Bourbon Ribs recipe - with some playing (as the mood strikes)

When we get ready to roast the turkey we put in the bottom of the roasting pan:

1 large onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
6 thin rounds of peeled fresh ginger
1 1/4 c apple juice or cider

We also rub the rinsed and dried turkey with butter under the skin and use this rub on the outside.

1 T Diamond crystal kosher salt
1 T packed golden brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamom
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

I wish I could remember what I did for the basting sauce. Jean's original recipe called for:

1/2 c. packed golden brown sugar
1/2 c. apple butter
1/4 c. bourbon whiskey
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
3 T apple cider
2 T dijon mustard.

Combine in a bowl.

I remember the gravy from this turkey was so freaking good that Jennifer and I dirtied every spoon in the house "testing" it to make sure it was really as good as we thought. We used a really rich turkey stock, bourbon, and more cider - Yummmmmmmmm.

Re: Turkey brining recipe - cjs - 11-18-2007

"Jean's Brown Sugar & Bourbon Ribs" - well piddle, I didn't make this all summer!!!