Cuisine at home Forums
The day after--The Hot Brown - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: The day after--The Hot Brown (/showthread.php?tid=42933)

The day after--The Hot Brown - Old Bay - 11-18-2007

I'm not a big turkey fan, but if you eat it once a year it's ok---and I look forward to brunch the morning after. This is an incredably rich, delicious way to use leftovers. From the Brown Hotel in Louisville.
4 oz butter
6 T flour
3 C milk
1 beaten egg
6 T grated parmesan cheese
1 oz whipped cream
salt & pepper to taste
slices of roast turkey
8 to 12 slices of toast
1/4 beefsteak tomato
extra parmesan for topping
8 to 12 strips of fried bacon
Melt butter and add enough flour to make a reasonably thick roux (enough to absorb all the butter). Add milk and cheese. Add egg to thicken sauce--heat, but do not allow sauce to boil. Remove from heat. Fold in whipped cream. Add salt and pepper.

For each Hot Brown, place 2 slices of toast on a flameproof dish. Cover toast with a liberal amount of turkey. Pour a generous amount of sauce over turkey and toast. Add tomato to sides of dish (2 slices). Sprinkle with additional cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until sauce is speckled brown and bubbly. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of bacon on top and serve immediately.

Re: The day after--The Hot Brown - Lorraine - 11-18-2007

I think I've died and gone to turkey heaven. Thank you!!

Re: The day after--The Hot Brown - cjs - 11-18-2007

I love Hot Browns!! It's on my list also for some of the turkey I have to cook! I cut the darn turkey up into 4 parts so we wouldn't get so tired of it, but I'm so anxious for the leftovers, we'll probaby just keep on keepin' on with it...

Re: The day after--The Hot Brown - Roxanne 21 - 11-18-2007

That is an interesting leftover idea, OldBay--thanks---copied and saved!! YUMM!!!

Re: The day after--The Hot Brown - luvnit - 11-19-2007

I have always wanted to try these. They sound so good.

Well, I vowed to my husband that this year I will make them and we can try them.

[Image: KY-hotbrown.jpg]

I had never seen them until now. Perhaps this pic will give others (who haven't seen them either) the inspiration to use those turkey leftovers in a new way!

Re: The day after--The Hot Brown - mjkcooking - 11-19-2007

This will be a great way to try - a new left over - thanks for the recipe

Marye