Cuisine at home Forums
Carbonnade A La Flamande - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Carbonnade A La Flamande (/showthread.php?tid=43369)

Carbonnade A La Flamande - Old Bay - 11-24-2007

Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton--I can almost hear the theme--if you could have taken them a bowl of this----can be doubled or tripled------- serves six
3& 1/2 lbs boneless roast from the chuck,cut into 1 inch pieces, salt & pepper
3 T vegi oil
2 lbs yellow onions, halved and sliced about 1/4 inch thick about 8 cups.
1 T tomato paste
2 med garlic cloves, minced
3 T all purpose flour
3/4 C low sodium chicken broth
3/4 C " " beef broth
1 & 1/2 C (12 oz) dark beer (pref. CHIMAY ale)
4 sprigs thyme , tied
2 bay leaves
1 T cider vinegar

1. Adjust oven rack to lower middle position: heat to 300. Dry beef thoroughly with paper towels, season w/ salt and pepper. Heat 2 t oil in heavy bottomed Dutch oven over med high heat until beginning to smoke; add 1/3 of beef to pot and brown on all sides very well!! Remove and put in med bowl. Repeat with remaining beef . Do not burn fond!! Add 1/2 C,each, of both broths to deglace, scrape and pour liquid into bowl with browned beef.
2. Add remaining 1 T of oil to empty Dutch oven: reduce heat to med low and add onions, 1/2 t salt,and tomato paste; cook , scraping botton of pan with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits until onions have released some moisture, about 5 min. Inc heat to med and continue to cook until onions are lightly browned, 12 to 14 min. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrent -30 sec-add flour and stir until onions are evenly coated and flour is lightly browned, abt 2 min. Stir in broths scraping bottom--stir in beer , thyme, bay, vinegar, browned beef with juices and salt and pepper to taste. Increase heat to med high and bring to full simmer, stirring occasionally; cover partially and place pot in oven. Cook until fork inserted in beef meets little resistance, abt 2 hours.
3. Discard thyme and bay--adjst seasonings and serve. ( I like it over buttered noodles). From Cooks Vol 71, with modifications.

Enjoy on a cold wet nite my friends----

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - MUSICMAKER - 11-24-2007

Sounds like some good old comfort food to me, Old Bay! Copied this one!

Thanks!

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - Lorraine - 11-24-2007

Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton-

Well, it's -8C here, cold, damp. I think it will be a fitting supper for tomorrow night. Thanks, Bill!!!

If they had only had a hot meal like yours!!!

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - vannin - 11-25-2007

Quote:

Imagine yourself in Flanders in February, thinking of the Allied Troops at the Battle of the Buldge, freezing, wet, waiting for Patton-

Well, it's -8C here, cold, damp. I think it will be a fitting supper for tomorrow night. Thanks, Bill!!!

If they had only had a hot meal like yours!!!

Yes, if only had. I have been driven over that area. And I have seen Pattons Grave/Memorial in Spain. It is beautiful. It is lined up so it is looking over a vast plaza, and beyond are his soldiers, thousands of crosses lined as neat as could possibly be. It is as if they are lined up on parade for him. A deeply moving place.

Thank you for the recipe. I like stout in beef too.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - Old Bay - 11-25-2007

I plan to go there--thanks for the inspiration.

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - cjs - 11-25-2007

cold and crisp here, but sounding real good!

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - Richard - 11-25-2007

THAT grabbed my taste buds and said "Wake UP!". Thank you. I cut and pasted it into Tuesday's menu.

-Richard

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - Old Bay - 11-25-2007

Richard, I looked at your bio--you will love the dish by the way--how about me? After over 500 posts I still have no name-- not even stranger. Fortunatly I do not have a problem with inferiority, my wife tells me so--you will move up on the list, while I remain Dorian Gray. Enjoy the beef--I serve it to my lodge every January, under penalty of death!!! I quadruple the recipe--works quite well, and I'm not executed, but then Dorian cannot die--unless--?

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - bjcotton - 11-25-2007

Geez Bill, I have that recipe in MasterCook with exactly the same changes....oh, wait, I copied yours

Re: Carbonnade A La Flamande - labradors - 11-26-2007

Quote:

After over 500 posts I still have no name-- not even stranger.

Perhaps, with your having 500+ posts and the name "Old Bay," everyone already knew you are "well seasoned."