Cuisine at home Forums
Is bleach safe to use on pots? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Is bleach safe to use on pots? (/showthread.php?tid=43818)

Is bleach safe to use on pots? - curious - 11-30-2007

I know this isn't a cooking question, but I thought ya'll might be able to help me.

I was out of town last week and while I was gone my hubby decided to wash the dishes. Well, he filled the sink up and put the pans(which had now been sitting for a couple days becuase he put off washing them, so the food was caked on) in the water. He then added bleach to the water.

I just got the pans out to cook some rice and beans(my favorite!) and noticed the bleach smell. I rinsed them off and started cooking. While cooking it gave off a really funky smell, I'm guessing fromt he bleach.

Anyways, back to my original question: is it safe to soak dishes all day in bleach water?!?!

If not, now what do I do? Is my nice dish set ruined?

Also, is it safe to eat what I'm cooking right now, or should I throw it out?

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - Old Bay - 11-30-2007

I think it is--we use it on cutting boards all the time.

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - pjcooks - 11-30-2007

Bill's right. When we run out of sanitizer at work for the 3-bay, we use bleach. It dissipates, so I would think you are safe. After all, there are instructions on the Chlorox bottle for sanitizing drinking water.

But tell him, next time, only a little is needed (a health inspector once got after me because my bleach solution was too strong)

PJ

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - DFen911 - 11-30-2007

I'm curious about Curious Are you the same Curious from Cooking Light boards?

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - cjs - 11-30-2007

you are curious....

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - Lorraine - 11-30-2007

"a health inspector once got after me because my bleach solution was too strong "

Chef got me last time because mine was too strong.

I think the pots probably need a good wash in hot soapy water. Maybe even a few times.

Re: Is bleach safe to use on pots? - labradors - 11-30-2007

Quote:

I'm curious about Curious Are you the same Curious from Cooking Light boards?

Curiouser and curiouser... LOL!