Cuisine at home Forums
Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding (/showthread.php?tid=45494)

Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - pjcooks - 12-27-2007

Being a New Hampshirite I love all things bread. This caught my eye in Gourmet, Dec 2007. What a fabulous side dish, I could make a meal of this!

[Image: DSCN0899.jpg]

4 cups (1/2-inch) fresh bread cubes (preferably brioche or challah; about 5 ounces)
1 1/2 pounds mixed fresh wild mushrooms such as chanterelle, cremini, and oyster, trimmed
1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups half-and-half
4 large eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Equipment: 8 (6-ounce) ramekins
Preparation
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
Bake bread cubes in 1 layer in a large shallow baking pan until golden-brown, about 10 minutes.
Tear or cut mushrooms lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick pieces.
Cook shallot in butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until liquid mushrooms give off has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add parsley and garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together half-and-half, eggs, cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in mushrooms and bread cubes until coated well and let stand 10 minutes for bread to absorb some of egg mixture.
Meanwhile, butter ramekins, then put a round of parchment in bottom of each and butter parchment.
Spoon mixture into ramekins and bake on a baking sheet until firm to the touch, 30 to 35 minutes. Unmold puddings and discard parchment.
Cooks' notes:
• Mushroom bread pudding can be baked in a buttered 2-quart shallow baking dish (not lined with parchment; do not unmold pudding from baking dish).
• Bread cubes can be baked 1 day ahead and cooled, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
• Pudding can be assembled (but not baked) 2 hours ahead and chilled, covered.

This is very good, all you mushroom lovers out there, I used oyster, shittake and cremini.

And, for once, Jean, I actually posted the recipe, with the pic, before you yelled at me!!

PJ

I have to add, this is probably the first Gourmet recipe I've had success with in 20 years...

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - cjs - 12-27-2007

moi??? oh boy that looks so good!! duly copied.

(thank God, she's learning... )

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - bjcotton - 12-27-2007

Looks yummy Sweet Thang

Jean, where can I find that Liberal Kitchen you fixed Christmas?

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - cjs - 12-28-2007

"Liberal Kitchen" - huh? don't know what that is.

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - labradors - 12-28-2007

Quote:

"Liberal Kitchen" - huh? don't know what that is.

Shall I?

No - I'd better not.

It would be like shooting fish in a barrel, though.

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - cjs - 12-28-2007

well, I'm guessing something is going right over my head...

go ahead lab, shoot the fish.

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - labradors - 12-28-2007

Quote:

well, I'm guessing something is going right over my head...

go ahead lab, shoot the fish.

LOL! I'll let you know in a PM, so as to minimise the potential for offending anyone.

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - luvnit - 12-28-2007

PJ that looks really good. I have been meaning to try bread pudding, again. My mom made it before. [but as I have said there are many things that my mom made that are NOTHING like I have come to find the same as an adult].

I love mushrooms too, this looks like a good one for me to try. Copied and pasted! Thanks!

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - pjcooks - 12-28-2007

No fair keeping us in the dark!!! I'm not easily offended if that helps any, look what you started, Billy dear!!!

PJ

Re: Wild Mushroom Bread Pudding - Mare749 - 12-28-2007

Same here! No fair! Don't keep us in the dark, you won't offend me either.

Thanks for the recipe, PJ, sounds very good.

Maryann