Cuisine at home Forums
Stuffing for the Crown Roast of Pork - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Stuffing for the Crown Roast of Pork (/showthread.php?tid=45931)

Stuffing for the Crown Roast of Pork - bbally - 01-01-2008

Did a crown roast of pork for the Christmas dinner. Thought I would break it up into several stages so the length of the blog did not drive everyone nuts. I like and apple, walnut stuffing for the crown roast.

First I want to introduce you to a neat pan I received for Christmas. Since I have been using Calphalon for so long now, it is my preferred choice for cookware. I have other cookware as well, but only if I could not find the features I wanted in the Calphalon line up. I prefer straight stainless steel and so I introduce you to the 12 inch triply everyday pan by Calphalon

[Image: 12inchcalph.jpg]

It has been a great pan so far. Came with a glass lid and fits into the microwave convection combo oven at the house.

The stuffing recipe lives in my head so I will try and put it out during the blog. I frenched off the rack while fabricating it into a crown roast of pork. That produces enough scraps to get the basic pork stock started.
Roasting down, onions, celery and a little shallot in the oven with the meat, then into the stockpot for seasonings and reduction. I tossed in an older half bottle of Sauvignon Blanc I had sitting on the counter along with a 1/3 bottle of oaked Chardonnay. While I agree that using 100 percent Oaked wines and/or Oaked Chard can cause a bitter taste to dishes, Wine is like any other ingredient, you are building a balance for your dish, used in the proper ratios it adds a nice oak background to the balance for your dish.

[Image: stock.jpg]

With the stock reducing toward the point where it will be strained and then undergo further reduction along with again balancing the seasoning, I can get on with the rest of the stuffing. I mixed up a little fresh pork breakfast
sausage. I make it a little sweeter than my normal breakfast table sausage, as I add in extra honey and maple sugar and just a touch of ground clove. This plays better
off the pork IMO. I brown it first, cool it, then process it to a fine meal consistency.

[Image: sausage.jpg]

While the sausage was browning, I diced up a few Granny Smith apples and start them in the sauté pan. This will be the beginning of the finished stuffing.

[Image: apples.jpg]

Earlier I had slightly toasted some walnuts, whipped them into the other food processor and gave them a couple pulses to chop them. Once chopped they go into the sauté as well.

[Image: walnuts.jpg]

Pork takes to dark fruits real well. So next up it a dozen Californian mission figs and about 8 Californian dates. Also a contribution from the New England states is one cup of nice Ocean Spray cranberries.

[Image: figs.jpg]

Finally while all this is reducing in the saute with a little Sauvignon Blanc, I start to pull it all together with a folding motion in the pan.

[Image: stuffing.jpg]

Allowing the bread cubes to toast a bit then cool before stuffing the top of the crown roast. I fabricated the crown roast earlier. I will post a few pictures on the method. Last I wanted a glaze to baste with and serve tableside with the pork. Since I had a nice assortment of figs I decided on a Fig Port reduction glaze.

[Image: figglaze.jpg]

Once I am done basting with it, the rest can go to the table for the feast!

'Til we talk again, skip the tater and do a stuffing for the starch! It wows them all and is very easy to make.

Chef Bob Ballantyne
The Cowboy and The Rose Catering
Grand Junction, Colorado, USA