Cuisine at home Forums
Do You or Don't You Poll??? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Do You or Don't You Poll??? (/showthread.php?tid=49016)

Do You or Don't You Poll??? - cjs - 02-04-2008

Just curious - How do you all prepare your pizza crust?? (I see a misspelling, but can't figure out how to correct - just assume I DO know how to spell 'always'

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - foodfiend - 02-04-2008

Tell me, please, how you all stretch your pizza crust without it tearing and (most importantly) how you achieve a nice edge? I use a pastry roller to form my dough and do not like the resulting crust (too "even" without a nice edge running around the perimeter) but I don't know of another way. I made homemade pizza almost every Sunday and would like to figure out a better way to do it!

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-04-2008

I have not done them more than a few times, but I did the push and spin on a floured surface thing. I found if the dough was even a little too sticky, it didn't work as well. It has to be just right...kinda like pasta and bread dough...it has to "feel" right.

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - labradors - 02-05-2008

Back in the restaurant, we used to be a little flashy for the guests, and would even toss them around among three of us. We made nine-inch, individual pizzas, so it was like throwing around really soft Frisbees. The other guys were much better at it than I, but I was still able to join in, once in a while.

For that dough, we just flattened it out by pushing down on it, then held it in our hand and stretched it, from the centre, out, using our thumbs, until it got to the desired size. That resulted in a nice ridge around the edge.

When I tried the same technique for my homemade dough, I discovered that the consistency was different enough that I kept getting holes in it. That was back when I was still experimenting with different dough recipes to find one where the par-baked pizzas would freeze well, without having crust that was as hard as a rock. The recipe I finally wound up using was one from MusicMaker (haven't seen her here in a while - wonder how she's doing), and she also gave me some instructions about flattening the dough on the table, using your fingers to stretch it, starting at the centre and working outward, then eventually holding the centre in place with one hand while stretching outward with the other hand, and turning it periodically until stretched all the way around. Then, one thing that has really been helpful: DON'T try to stretch it to its full diameter the first time, but stop and let the dough rest for five minutes, THEN go back and stretch it again to get the desired size.

That method has worked very well for the dough I currently use, and that last bit about stretching it twice, with a five-minute rest in between, has made it a lot easier.

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - luvnit - 02-05-2008

Great poll! I just made homemade pizza last night. Roller method. Rolled it directly on top of corn meal. I love corn meal. Cooked it at 500 degrees on a preheated pizza stone. Perfection!

[Image: pizza.jpg]

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - cjs - 02-05-2008

"DON'T try to stretch it to its full diameter the first time, but stop and let the dough rest for five minutes,"

This step is very important to a relaxed dough, imo.

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - farnfam - 02-05-2008

Labs, could you post that one? Just to refresh my memory. I think I've tried about pizza dough recipe posted here or that I found elsewhere. Still can't get it to taste quite like Brooklyn
Cis

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - Harborwitch - 02-05-2008

Letting the dough rest is the biggie! I used to use a dough "relaxer" that King Arthur sells - but at the price they want for it I'll let the dough rest while I go relax for a few.

When we have had pizza parties our friends Will and Francois have to toss the dough - and they aren't too bad at it, but I'm just not that coordinated.

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - cjs - 02-05-2008

" taste quite like Brooklyn" - don't think it's going to happen. I have never tasted another dough as good as the one from N.Y. that was sent to us - man, that was good!

Re: Do You or Don't You Poll??? - Harborwitch - 02-05-2008

We had this discussion with Will (our friend Bill - as his new sweetie calls him now). He claims it's the water in Brooklyn that makes the difference and is why you cannot duplicate the dough anywhere else - unless someone will ***** you water from Brooklyn.