Cuisine at home Forums
Happy Waitangi Day Dale - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Happy Waitangi Day Dale (/showthread.php?tid=49156)

Happy Waitangi Day Dale - esgunn - 02-06-2008

Hi Dale, Happy Waitangi Day.

I may be wishing you happiness on the day of a horrible masacre. I have no idea what Waitangi Day (New Zealand) is. But thought I'd let you know I saw it on my calendar
and thought of you - not the masacre part but the New Zealand part!

Edited: Per Wikipedia
Waitangi Day is the national day of New Zealand. It is a public holiday held each year on February 6 to celebrate the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi, New Zealand's founding document, on that date in 1840.
The Treaty of Waitangi was signed on 6 February 1840, in a marquee erected in the grounds of James Busby's house (now known as the Treaty house) at Waitangi in the Bay of Islands. The Treaty made New Zealand a part of the British Empire, guaranteed Maori rights to their land and gave Maori the rights of British citizens. There are significant differences between the Maori and English language versions of the Treaty, and virtually since 1840 this has led to debate over exactly what was agreed to at Waitangi. Maori have generally seen the Treaty as a sacred pact, while for many years Pakeha (the Maori word for New Zealanders of predominantly European ancestry) ignored it. By the early twentieth century, however, some Pakeha were beginning to see the Treaty as their nation's founding document and a symbol of British humanitarianism. Unlike Maori, few Pakeha; saw the Treaty as a valid legal document to which they needed to strictly adhere.

Sorry to go so far off topic. Maryann started it with her comments on Big Fat Tuesday and Ash Wednesday.

Re: Happy Waitangi Day Dale - HomeCulinarian - 02-06-2008

Never heard about this historical event before! Thanx, I learned something new today.

Re: Happy Waitangi Day Dale - vannin - 02-06-2008

Why thank you so much for being so interested Erin. I personally would not go within a bulls roar of the treaty grounds on Waitangi day, there have been substantial upsets over the years, and I do not want to be part of that. Least said, best forgotten in my view.

We did, however, have a lovely day. My cousin Heather and her DH invited us down to Port Waikato for lunch. The have a Lockwood house perched high on the clifftops, with views all over The port, and the Waikato River itself.

We had whitebait fritters, avocado and ham cocktail sandies, I must confess my love for tinned salmon here, I have always loved it. And she served it. (in some of the cocktail sandies). Mashed hard cooked and curried eggs and so on. With a well brandied trifle and millions of plain whipped cream. There was a ligh breeze to lift the heat of the day. It was beautiful.

Funny though, Heather is of Nga Tahu extraction and I am of Nga Puhi extraction.