Cuisine at home Forums
Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies (/showthread.php?tid=49642)

Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - luvnit - 02-12-2008

My keyboard is still tricky, I have my 'y' back, but my nnnnnnnnnn sticks pretty bad. Still a few numbers missing, but at least I am back, sort of.

I just got a new peanut butter called The Heat Is On by a company called Peanut Butter & Co. . Their web address is www.ilovepeanutbutter.com.

[Image: 17010004_lg.jpg]

I decided to make peanut butter cookies with it. They turned out WOOONDERFULLLL!

This peanut butter has: chili powder, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper & paprika. I used my regular peanut butter cookie recipe and subsituted the spicy peanut butter. It was terrific! I will have to work on finding the right combonation of spices to make it myself someday.

Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup spicy peanut butter (The Heat Is On)
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, cream together shortening, brown sugar, and peanut butter until smooth. Stir in egg, milk, and vanilla. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt then stir into the peanut butter mixture until well blended.

Use a scoop and drop onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press down criss-cross with a fork gently to flatten. Turn oven down to 375. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes (depending on size of cookie scoop you use. Mine holds about 2 Tablespoons and I cook for about 10 minutes) in the preheated oven. Space cookies about 2-3 inches apart, they spread out. Cookies are done when they are slightly browned across the top and spread out quite a ways. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

[Image: cookie.jpg]

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - firechef - 02-12-2008

Looks good Laura. Holly is going to kill me for getting tongue prints on the screen of the laptop however!

Did you order this peanut butter through their website or in a store up there? Being not too far from Minnesota it is not totally out of the question that I might find this product around here if you got it in a store.

Pretty neat idea too...got a spicy chocolate anywhere?

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - luvnit - 02-12-2008

I found the peanut butter at SuperTarget, on clearance for $1.24 per jar. I want to go back there today and get the rest of the jars! Perhaps give them as gifts.

I still want to replicate these with regular peanut butter and add seasonings my self. This is what I thought I would try:

Spicy Peanut Butter
To peanut butter add ¾ t. Chili powder, ¼ t. cayenne pepper, ¼ t. crushed red pepper, ½ t. paprika. Peanut butter will be a pretty, but dark orange color.

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - Harborwitch - 02-12-2008

I make a great chocolate cookie and put peanut butter chips in it. Of course I put a teaspoon of chipotle chili powder in them too. Bob loves those cookies.

Yesterday we dropped our glasses off for repair and had 40 minutes to kill. Walked up the street to World Market and shopped (2 blind nuts!!! LOL) We came out of there with 3 Lindt chocolate bars - an 85% extra dark Lindt Excellence bar, a Lindt Excellence Dark chocolate infused with red chili, and (Lord help me) a Lindt Creation 70% cacao bar filled with a dark chocolate mousee and cherry and chili filling.

Peanut butter, chocolate, and chili just go so well together and just happen to be our favorite combo's!

I love Lindt too... Today I was eating one of their dark chocolate bars and was sharing it with my son. He looked at the bar and asked, "What does this say?" I told him, "It says Lindt." To which he responded, "I love Lindt!"

He is a chocolate lover through and through. What a sweetheart. Now we're gonna have trouble getting throuhg the checkout lines witout Lindt.

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - firechef - 02-12-2008

I love "savory sweets" but can't stand sweet savory dishes go figure. A dessert that is sweet with a hint of fire or a bite to it is wonderful, but a savory dinner entree that is sweet or such just does nothing for me unless it is meant to be that way. It seems everyone is trying to modify dishes and "fuse" them to things they are not. It works well with the desserts I've had but not with the main course...

I'll check the Targets around here....oh boy oh boy. Let us know how the attempt at your own PB turns out!

Bob, I would have to agree with you there on all points. It's not very often that I like a sweet savory dish. Although I will eat them, they just don't do much for me. But cookies are good! I don't know if I could go back to regular peanut butter cookies again. At least not if I am making them.

But hubby and I really loved em. I hope you find the peanut butter! Let me know if you try them.

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - cjs - 02-12-2008

Good Lord, this is right up our alley also -

"have to work on finding the right combonation of spices to make it myself" - ME TOO!

Laura, how are going to start playing with this? Mix the spices and add p.butter to them? or start with a certain amount of p.butter??? Think I'll have to try this for my morning toast...

Re: Spicy Peanut Butter Cookies - Harborwitch - 02-12-2008

Whole Foods carries the PB. Bob was in Walnut Creek and close to one - but I hated to send him on a second "mission" since he was already stopping for coffee beans on his way to a service call back in this area.

Next time!!!

It is an natural peanut butter with no hydrogenated oil or added sugar. I will have to keep that in mind when I make my own, if I can't find this stuff.

I just talked to my hubby, who took a plate of these to work with him. Nearly everyone loved them. But a few people didn't like 'spicy' food. They must by pretty sensitive to it, because I didn't feel these were too spicy. They do have an afterkick though, which we loved. I thought it was a wonderful blend of sweet and spicy.