Cuisine at home Forums
Almost Homemade? - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Almost Homemade? (/showthread.php?tid=50413)

Almost Homemade? - bjcotton - 02-22-2008

I didn't have anything to read this morning [bought 3 books yesterday and had already read all of them], so I watched her show for the first time. OMG, 70% store bought and 30% almost scratch is called almost homemade? I guess that means that if I buy a Stouffer's Lasagna and grate a little cheese on top or buy a Papa Murphy's pizza and cook it at home I can call it that huh? She made Smothered Chicken and the only thing fresh was the chicken with store bought gravy, and stuffing, then added a little poultry seasoning. They were ooohing and aaahing over how good it was. Sheeesh!

Tonight I'm making Marinated, Breaded Pork Chops, fried potatoes, and a tossed green salad....no, I didn't raise the hog and butcher it; or, grow the potatoes or salad greens, but by golly I'll call it homemade.

Re: Almost Homemade? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-22-2008

Poor Billy! This is the first one of her shows you've seen? Sad, ain't it? I think her only real claim to fame is her table scapes. The food is little more than what you described.

Re: Almost Homemade? - labradors - 02-22-2008

Her who? Is "Almost Homemade" the title of the show? Never heard of it, but it appears that is a good thing.

Re: Almost Homemade? - DFen911 - 02-22-2008

I watched that show once and was appalled.

Re: Almost Homemade? - Gourmet_Mom - 02-22-2008

Labs, it's a Food Network show called "Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee". She's been touted as the next Martha Stewart. The only thing is, everything she makes is made with store bought ingredients. Lots of shortcuts...70% store bought and 30% homemade is her motto.

Re: Almost Homemade? - DFen911 - 02-22-2008

I call that lazy. If you're going to the store to pick up the ingredients just make the darn thing from scratch. You'll end up with less sugar, less sodium and less fat.

Oh no...sorry didnt' see that soapbox there..I'll get down now.

No wait..one last thing..it's the Foodnetwork. It's suppose to be about cooking. To me she is not cooking.

Ok now I'll get down.

Re: Almost Homemade? - labradors - 02-22-2008

Quote:

o...sorry didnt' see that soapbox there..I'll get down now.

Sure you did: it's in your avatar! ROTFL!

I agree, though: the next thing you'll know, she'll be adding an extra slice of cheese to a Big Mac and calling it "homemade cooking." Bleaaaaah!

Re: Almost Homemade? - HomeCulinarian - 02-22-2008

I happened across this show a few weeks back. I think this is how most people "cook" now. I view it as a step up from McDonald's and Pizza Hut carryout.

Re: Almost Homemade? - bjcotton - 02-22-2008

Amen! I thought it was purely disgusting! Although, I do know people that cook that way...my brother, Charles, is married to one. I've been over there and showed her how easy it is to make something in a slowcooker and she just says, "I just can't remember to put it on in the morning." I tell her she can put it together the night before, cover it and put it in the refrigerator. "I just can't remember to put it in the slowcooker before I leave for work." I finally gave up. How her daughter became such a good cook I don't know. OK, I'll get down off Cis' soapbox

Re: Almost Homemade? - vannin - 02-22-2008

Can I have a turn people, this is how you are Supposed to cook. Brainwashed people with $100K kitchens for making a cup of coffee. Present anyone with a raw chook, 1/2 dozen root veg, and a cup of peas and they would have a nervous collapse.