Cuisine at home Forums
Latest updates on my website - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Latest updates on my website (/showthread.php?tid=50497)

Latest updates on my website - labradors - 02-23-2008

So I won't keep creating new threads with different subject lines for each new update, I'm making just this one thread to report any updates.

In the forum, I have added some modification so that NOBODY'S email address is visible to other users, even if you neglected to check the "Hide email address from public?" option when you signed up. Also, for those occasions when newbies ill-advisedly post their email addresses in messages, I have installed a modification that will still display those addresses, but will make them seem like garbage (i.e. NOT email addresses) to the spambots that search Internet forum sites for addresses to which they can send Spam.

The big news, however, is that the major part of the C@H entries for the Magazine Recipe Index is now complete. This means that the years, months, volumes, issues, and titles of each of the magazine's recipes that are in the hardcover, annual volumes are now in the database. Please note that this does NOT include things that may have been in the magazines, but that the C@H editors chose not to put into the annual volumes. If there ARE such things, I will add them to the database as soon as they are brought to my attention. Also, the database doesn't yet include information about the "Online Extras," but I plan on adding those shortly, so they will be searchable, as well. For now, I don't have the page numbers yet (neither magazines nor annuals), but will also add those as they become available to me. Finally, the 2008 issues are not in there yet, but I do have the images of the table-of-contents pages for each of the current two issues, and will type that information into the database soon.

Re: Latest updates on my website - Gourmet_Mom - 02-23-2008

Thanks for the update Labs. I noticed the email thing at the last minute and clicked it. You have put a lot of work into this.

Re: Latest updates on my website - cjs - 02-23-2008

just a thot - is this legal?

Re: Latest updates on my website - luvnit - 02-23-2008

I wondered the same thing myself Jean. I know that when you do a cookbook, you are able to use recipes from various sources. You are not able to use any source as a primary or more than a certain percentage. (Don't know what that is).

When I did my MIL's cookbook she had recipes from several sources: friends, family, cookbooks, magazines, backs of boxes, etc. We were able to copyright the cookbook as a 'collection of recipes'.

As for websites, a lot of the same kinds of copyright rules apply. I think your thought is a great point to brink up for Labs to look into.

Although this would help me out alot to have a database online of recipes to look up!

Re: Latest updates on my website - labradors - 02-23-2008

Thanks for your interest and concern.

The Magazine Recipe Index is just a collection of volume, year, issue, and month numbers, along with titles, and titles are not subject to copyright. Titles, phrases, and slogans MAY receive legal protection if they are registered as trademarks, but for this type of thing, trademark protection would usually only be filed for the the magazine's title, and not for individual recipes, since it's just too costly and impractical to trademark the title of each recipe. Some just couldn't be trademarked anyway (e.g. "Risotto") unless it were to trademark logo artwork, but not the word "Risotto," itself.

Here's what the U.S. Copyright office says:
Quote:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

(Source: U.S. Copyright Office FAQ.)

As for recipes, themselves, that is a discussion that had surfaced, here, before, and the best information about that is at this page, from the U.S. Copyright Office.

Re: Latest updates on my website - labradors - 03-14-2008

Just before I came to Honduras, I set up a simple website and added a blog. I updated it for a while, but less and less as I became involved in other things.

Now that I have my new site up and running, and it is easier to maintain, I have started a separate section in my forum to talk about the work I am doing here. Since its purpose is to take the place of the old blog, other users will not be able to create new topics in that section, but will be able to reply to existing ones (as with leaving comments for a blog).