Cuisine at home Forums
Russian Dressing - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Russian Dressing (/showthread.php?tid=52138)

Russian Dressing - Lorraine - 03-11-2008

I was making Reubens last week, and didn't have a recipe for the dressing, so Jean gave me this one. It is so simple, yet really good. I used it on the Reuben, then on a tomato, lettuce, cheese one, poured some on a wedge of iceberg, dipped some sweet potao fries in it, even used it on celery when I ran out of Cheeze Whiz.
* Exported from MasterCook *

RUSSIAN DRESSING
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1 T. fresh parsley -- chopped
1 T. milk
1 T. onion -- grated
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
4 drops Tabasco

Mix all together. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Re: Russian Dressing - Old Bay - 03-11-2008

Absolutely perfect on a Reuben--"the authetic version".

Re: Russian Dressing - piano226 - 03-11-2008

HI,

I wonder why it is called Russian, since russians dont use dressings at all.

Re: Russian Dressing - cjs - 03-11-2008

probably because of the early versions using caviar and Russia is well known for caviar - my guess.

Re: Russian Dressing - piano226 - 03-11-2008

Interesting...the first time i tried salad dressings was when I came to US...still dont like them.

Re: Russian Dressing - Gourmet_Mom - 03-11-2008

Thanks for posting this Lorraine. And thanks for sharing it Jean. If it's half as good as the honey mustard, I'm gonna love it!

Jean, have you got a good Catalina recipe?

Re: Russian Dressing - Lorraine - 03-11-2008

You're welcome, GM. Piano, do you put anything on your salads at all? Just wondring.

Re: Russian Dressing - cjs - 03-11-2008

I was wondering also, Lorraine. What a dieter's dream - to enjoy salad with no dressing, that's sure not me!

Catalina dressing, no I don't think I do have one - be interesting to see who comes up with one.

Re: Russian Dressing - Lorraine - 03-11-2008

I always need something on my salad. If I don't add dressig, I'll add chicken / egg salad, something to it htat has dressing. One person in the house eats Catalina. You know, it's tomato based, and I think almost real close to the Russian. I just can't eat the bottled ones.

Re: Russian Dressing - piano226 - 03-12-2008

Well in Russia the most popular "dressing" is actually sunflower oil.

We do a lot of salads without lettuce so if it is just tomato, radishes, cucumbers and lets say dill we add some sour cream to it.