Cuisine at home Forums
Fried Foods - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Fried Foods (/showthread.php?tid=56010)

Fried Foods - esgunn - 04-22-2008

Hi all. My hubby got me a deep fat frier recently. I have never fried foods. I know these days not so health concious, but oh so good - on occasion. So, since I have never fried much, I don't have any good recipes.

Tonight I fried chicken legs and they came out pretty good. But I was hoping you all could share some recipes of some favorites. Main dish, appys, desserts, anything. I am going to revisit that thread on the spring rolls that's for sure.

Re: Fried Foods - labradors - 04-22-2008

Can't get much simpler than tempura:

1 Cup Ice water
1 Cup Flour
1 Egg

Use it for just about anything, including some of the most tender, juicy chicken you could imagine. Of course, many veggies, as well, such as mushrooms, green beans, eggplant, zucchini. I especially like little nests of finely sliced onion combined with matchstick carrots and cooked together.

All punning aside, take another look at the chick-pea-cake thread - that's really not THAT far from falafel.

Don't forget croquettes, even the Japanese version.

Can't neglect Crab Rangoon, either.

Finally (for now), try Onion Bhaji - kind of the Indian equivalent of onion rings, but in a ball form.

With the exception of that particular Crab Rangoon recipe, I have made each of these, and consider them very well tested. Also, the tempura recipe was given to me directly by a Japanese nurse who worked for the Red Cross, here, for a while. She also gave her approval of the Croquette recipe, mentioning that croquettes are VERY popular in Japan, even having a number of Korokke restaurants (e.g. this one) and (as if they didn't have enough breading) putting croquettes on sandwiches!

Here's one to add, but I had to translate it. I haven't actually made this one yet, but I really must, one of these days, since they are so wonderfully delicious: Papas Rellenas (stuffed potato balls) were something I used to love sneaking out to pick up at lunchtime, when I lived in Orlando but, unfortunately, are not available here, except in a city that's a 2.5-hour bus ride away. Here's the recipe:

Papas Rellenas
(Stuffed Potato Balls - 6 Servings)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Lb Potatoes
  • 1 Lb Ground beef, finely chopped
  • 1 Clove Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Salt
  • 1/2 6-Oz can Tomatoes
  • 10 Seedless olives
  • 2 Tsp Raisins (optional)
  • 1 Tbsp Dry wine
  • 2 Tsp de Olive oil (or vegetable oil)
  • 1/2 Tsp Oregano
  • 1/2 Tsp Pepper
For breading
  • 4 Eggs
  • 10 Oz Ground crackers (or breadcrumbs)
Instructions:
  1. Boil the potatoes until soft, then drain and mash them. Do not mix in any butter or water when mashing them - only the potatoes. Allow to cool.
  2. Put the beef, onion, garlic, and salt into an iron pot or a sauté pan, and cook for 8 minutes.
  3. Add the other ingredients and cook until well cooked - not very juicy, but not too dry. Allow to cool.
  4. Put some of the potato into your hand, then put some of the beef in the centre of the potato and form a ball, with the potato completely enclosing the beef. Continue, using up all the potato and beef.
  5. Beat the eggs, and put the crackers on a separate plate.
  6. Dip each ball into the egg, then the crackers. Repeat.
  7. Fry in well-heated oil until golden.
  8. Another thing you could do is to fry them ahead of time, then reheat them in the microwave, cut them in half, put a slice of your favourite cheese in the middle. Heat in the microwave less than a minute - just to melt the cheese.
(Source: Translated from this page).

Personal note: This recipe does leave out a few details, such as how big to make them (other than by figuring that it's supposed to be for six servings. When I would by these in the Cuban markets in Orlando, FL, they were usually about the size of a baseball and only cost $1. At Bongos, in "Downtown Disney," however (Gloria Estefan's restaurant), they cost "Disney" prices, and were only the size of racquetballs, at the most. The smaller ones were good as general appetizers, but the big, $1 ones were filling enough to be a decent lunch (and, I think, much tastier).

Re: Fried Foods - pjcooks - 04-23-2008

Those rangoons were good, Erin and Labs. I made them for #2's birthday last August. I think I made the pineapple sauce as well.

PJ

Re: Fried Foods - HomeCulinarian - 04-23-2008

I've never had a deep fat fryer. I've heard, though, that if you fry hot enough the oil doesn't stay with the cooked foods. Do you need to leave it on the counter? What do you do with the oil in between uses?

Re: Fried Foods - cjs - 04-23-2008

I keep oil to reuse 2 or 3 times in an oil bottle in the fridge - then dump and start over with new.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Leek and Walnut Fritters

12 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only -- about 10 medium)
3/4 cup panko -- (or more)
2 large eggs -- beaten to blend
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice plus lemon wedges for garnish
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
Vegetable oil (for frying).

Cook leeks in large saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain very well and cool. Working in batches, wrap leeks in kitchen towels and squeeze out all liquid. Place leeks in processor and blend to coarse paste. Transfer leeks to large bowl. Add 3/4 cup panko, eggs, lemon juice, baking powder, salt, and pepper; blend well. Mix in nuts. Add more panko by tablespoonfuls if mixture is very moist.

Shape 3 tablespoons leek-walnut mixture into 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Bon Appétit, December 2006

Make the fritters a day ahead, then fry them quickly before serving. What to drink: A crisp white with citrus and herb flavors would be perfect; try the Jim Barry 2006 "Silly Mid On" Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon blend (Australia, $17).

Makes 22 to 24 servings.

My notes: I can't believe I've been sitting on this recipe for over a year!! Hate it when that happens. These are really very good and it works to make them the day before - which makes them even better. I made half a batch and shaped them quite small (one to two bites worth), so I had 20-24 with just that amount.

I served them as an Asian hors with Wasabi oil, Wasabi mayo (recipe here in MasterCook), pickled ginger and sweet chili sauce. All were great with the fritters and the fritters were gone immediately.

Oh, just before deep frying I coated them with a little more panko and seemed to make them a little more interesting to look and, and just little more crunchy with the smooth, creamy inside.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

WASABI OIL*****

Recipe By :New Zealand Wasabi Limited, www.wasabi.co.nztop.html

2 T. hot wasabi paste
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 T. mirin
Cold water
1/4 c canaoloa oil

In a bowl, combine wasabi paste, sugar & mirin.
Quickly whisk in oil.
A purée consistency is ideal.

Description:
"This is wonderful and not overwhelmingly hot!"

Avocado Wasabi Mayonnaise

2 tablespoons Hot NAMIDA Wasabi paste
1 avocado -- peeled, seeded and puréed
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Pinch salt
Pinch sugar
Pinch black pepper

Combine all ingredients well and chill.

Serve with Crab Cakes.

Source:
"New Zealand Wasabi Limited"
S(Internet address):
"http://www.wasabi.co.nz/top.html"

oh, and calamari is great to deep fry - I just use seasoned flour, toss the calamari with it and put in a sieve to remove the excess flour. They are really good sprinkled with an old chef friend's mix - Chef Kelly Johnson's

Kelly's spice for chips - 40-40-20 (Kosher, madras curry powder, sugar) or 2 parts salt & curry to 1 part sugar. This is so good on just about anything just coming out of the fryer!!!!

Re: Fried Foods - DFen911 - 04-23-2008

Bah...one word..

Twinkies
Snickers Bar

Ok so that's 3 words....but freaky as they sound they are good. Well..not good for you, just good eats

Re: Fried Foods - Dismc - 04-23-2008

Love my deep fryer but I don't use it very often. This is my favorite fried recipe. It was always a hit when I catered.

Coconut Shrimp with Mustard Sauce

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds unpeeled, jumbo fresh shrimp
2 cups all-purpose baking mix, divided
1 cup beer
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
3 cups sweetened flaked coconut
Vegetable oil
Mustard Sauce

Preparation
Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact; devein, if desired. Set aside.
Stir together 1 cup baking mix and 1 cup beer until smooth.

Stir together remaining 1 cup baking mix, salt, and ground red pepper. Dredge shrimp in dry mixture, and dip in beer mixture, allowing excess coating to drip. Gently roll shrimp in flaked coconut.

Pour vegetable oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan, and heat to 350°. Cook shrimp, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until golden; remove shrimp, and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Mustard Sauce.

Mustard Sauce

Ingredients
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons beer
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Preparation
Stir together all ingredients.

Yield
Makes 2/3 cup

Southern Living

Yield
Makes 10 to 12 appetizer servings

Re: Fried Foods - Lorraine - 04-23-2008

We just got a new one. I keep it in the cupboard under the counter. The oil stays in it until it needs changing, or I fry fish in it. We use it mainly for fries. He does a double fry, first at a lower temp, then at a higher one.

I've always wanted to make the Italian dessert, it's deep fried pate a choux dough, then I think you sprinkle them with sugar, honey, something. They sure look good.