Cuisine at home Forums
For Garlic Lovers - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: For Garlic Lovers (/showthread.php?tid=56909)

For Garlic Lovers - cjs - 05-11-2008

This may be a suggestion that most of us already do, but if it's new to someone, it sure saves some money, time and effort.

It's so nice to have roasted garlic on hand and because the whole process will take at least an hour to prep to use in a recipe, here's a way to always have it on hand.

Costco sells large containers of peeled, ready to go garlic cloves. I make about 1/3 of the container at a time - put the garlic in a shallow (2 or 3" deep)pot and cover with oil by at least 1". Cover the pan tightly - I use alum. foil instead of a lid. Roast in a 375 F. oven for approx 1 3/4 hours; carefully open foil and stick cloves with a knife to see if nice and tender and are turning brown. If not tender, recover and return to oven for a few more minutes.

With a large spoon with holes, remove the garlic from the oil into a bowl. Let the garlic and the oil cool separately, then pkg. up the garlic cloves and the oil separately and freeze. All you have to do is smack the cloves to break off what you want or cut off the oil you want to add nice flavor to a dish.

garlic cooling
[Image: roastedgarlic.jpg]

garlic ready to be frozen, then I'll just put all in a plastic bag
[Image: rstdgarlic2.jpg]

garlic oil ready for freezer - just remove from container and keep in a plastic bag
[Image: garlicoil.jpg]

The garlic and oil are so nice to have on hand.

Re: For Garlic Lovers - Gourmet_Mom - 05-11-2008

Cool idea Jean! I never thought of doing it ahead and freezing!

Re: For Garlic Lovers - cjs - 05-11-2008

Oh good, Daphne, I thought for a minute I was preaching to the choir - and that everyone was already doing this....

Re: For Garlic Lovers - labradors - 05-11-2008

Great idea. Should start doing this, since garlic is so plentiful (and popular) here.

Re: For Garlic Lovers - farnfam - 05-11-2008

oh YUM, Jean that's a wonderful idea, thanks so much for sharing!!
Also, many may already know this hint too: I have found this to be so helpful, when peeling garlic just take the amount of cloves you need and put them in the microwave for a few seconds. I do about 8 cloves for 12 seconds. The skins pretty much slip right off.
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: For Garlic Lovers - Mare749 - 05-11-2008

Thank you both for sharing your tips! Never thought of freezing roasted garlic, but it's a great idea, and I sure didn't know about the micro tip. Both are good time-savers.

Here is something that we have done since our camping days. Scrub a couple of redskin potatoes, slice and put on a piece of heavy duty foil, add sliced garlic cloves, drizzle with oil or pats of butter, s&p to taste, wrap up nice and tight and put on the grill. (low heat)

Since I don't do the grilling, had to ask Ron how long? His answer: A couple of beers later....oh, and flip over when you hear them sizzling..... (I'm thinking it's probably only about 40 minutes) We use this method for any mix of sliced veggies, such as zucchini, red pepper, and onion.

Re: For Garlic Lovers - Lorraine - 05-11-2008

" A couple of beers later.... "

Gotta love those kind of answers!

Thanks, Jean. He's had me do that at the Inn. We do the whole container in a 1/2 pan. Never thought of doing it for home use and freezing it,though. Thanks!

Re: For Garlic Lovers - DFen911 - 05-11-2008

Jean this is a great idea! I've always seen the big jar of garlic but never purchased it figuring it would go bad long before I could use it all. And then boom, you have a great use for it. Thank you for sharing that.

Re: For Garlic Lovers - bjcotton - 05-11-2008

I didn't think we had anyone on here that used either garlic or onions Great idea Jean. I'm not sure how much I like roasted garlic flavor over plain raw garlic flavor.

Another thank you goes to whomever suggested the tomato powder from the Spice House. Mine arrived while I was in the hospital.

Re: For Garlic Lovers - Old Bay - 05-11-2008

Jean, I've done something similar--we buy the big jars from Sam's for Christmas parties ( we don't have a Costco)--but I roast the leftovers on a baking pan over foil, drizzled in olive oil and salt, then puree and put in ice cube trays, freeze, wrap individually in plastic wrap. Mine are not whole, but the individual little purees work well. I'll do some your way next time!!