Cuisine at home Forums
Pannini (sort of) - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Pannini (sort of) (/showthread.php?tid=57473)

Pannini (sort of) - farnfam - 05-21-2008

Tammy got me interested in a portobello pannini recipe from a long past issue (27) of C@H. So, I've got all the ingredients but I don't have a pannini grill thingy. I was wondering if I could use my waffle iron. Or do you have any other suggestions?? Will it really make so much diff?? tia
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Pannini (sort of) - labradors - 05-21-2008

On the waffle iron I have, the cooking surfaces are reversible, giving a plain grill on the other side. Is yours like that (but maybe just forgotten)? If so, that would be pretty good for a panino. Of course, a George Foreman grill would do the job, too.

Re: Pannini (sort of) - Gourmet_Mom - 05-21-2008

I've never made a pannini, but I have heard of people using waffle irons, sandwich makers, and (better yet, in my opinion) a heavy skillet, bricks, or other heavy object to press the sammie...just put a piece of foil between your weight and your good to go. At least, that's what I've heard.

The reason I think the weighted idea would work best is the even pressure on your sandwich. The others would put more pressure on the back side...if that makes sense.

Re: Pannini (sort of) - labradors - 05-21-2008

Quote:

The others would put more pressure on the back side...if that makes sense.

It depends upon how thick the panino is. On my unit, for example, the back hinge is a slip hinge, allowing it to open relatively evenly, from front to back, unless the sandwich is too thick.

Re: Pannini (sort of) - cjs - 05-22-2008

I have a "pannini maker" and I more times than not just use one of my cast iron skillets on top. As Daphne says, just put a sheet of foil over the sandwich and top with the skillet. works great.

What did you end up using?

Re: Pannini (sort of) - farnfam - 05-22-2008

It's for tonite's supper and the bread is going to be slices of 18hr which I threw together last nite. Had a tiny procedure done yesterday afternoon and the bread and the pannini question were the last two things I did before the painkillers kicked in for the nite lol. I'm hoping my waffle iron reverses, otherwise I have plenty of cast iron skillets to use. Thanks, will let you know how it goes!!
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Pannini (sort of) - TwilightKitten - 05-22-2008

Oh, those panini were soooo good! I hope you love them as much as we did.

Re: Pannini (sort of) - farnfam - 05-22-2008

Well, the 18hr bread stands ready, but a kind friend brought over chicken soup and muffins for us tonite, as I'm a bit under the weather. Paninni tomorrow for sure!!
Cis
Empress for Life
ps Welcome back Tammy, how good to see you little kitty here again!!

Re: Pannini (sort of) - TwilightKitten - 05-22-2008

Thanks, Cis

Re: Pannini (sort of) - Mare749 - 05-23-2008

Hi Tammy, good to see you again! I missed your little kitty too!

Cis, be sure to let us know what ingredients you used. Love portabellas, and of course 18 hour bread is just perfect for a pannini. Hmmm, think I'll go start some bread right now! Feel better, and take care.

Maryann