Cuisine at home Forums
Silly/Stupid question - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Silly/Stupid question (/showthread.php?tid=57929)

Silly/Stupid question - mlucas1 - 05-30-2008

I am going to make the Sweet Tea recipe from #63 (back cover) this weekend for a cookout. I have regular size teabags, how many should I use in place of the gallon size teabags?

Re: Silly/Stupid question - pjcooks - 05-30-2008

Hi, Meg! Back in the old days, when I used to make sun tea, I used about 10-12 teabags for a gallon of water. Hope this is a start for you!

PJ

Re: Silly/Stupid question - bjcotton - 05-30-2008

That's about how many I used for my sun tea too. Just don't steep it too long.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - HomeCulinarian - 05-30-2008

I didn't read that particular recipe, but when I used to make sweet tea (taught by my HS BF's mother), I would steep 3-4 regular tea bags in about 4-6 cups of sugar water (simple syrup) covered for a few hours. Add some water, but leave somewhat concentrated, and pour over ice.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - labradors - 05-30-2008

Just be careful: sun tea should be made in VERY clean containers, should not be allowed to steep any longer than necessary, should be discarded if it looks thick, and should only be made in quantities that will be consumed right away - all because the temperature of sun tea is not high enough to kill bacteria that could be present, but actually just right for promoting its growth even more.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - mlucas1 - 05-30-2008

Thank you all for your replies. The recipe is not for sun tea. I'll write out the recipe for you all to peruse:

Southern Sweet Tea w/lime and mint CAH #63

Bring to a boil and add; Stir in
4 cups water
1 gallon size tea bag
1 1/2 c sugar
8 cups cold water

Serve over ice with;

lime rounds or wedges
Sprigs of fresh mint

Bring 4 c. water to a boil in a lg. sauce pan. Add tea bag, cover, and steep 5 minutes. Remove bag, squeeze dry, then stir in sugar until dissolved. Add remaining 8 c. water, chill until cold.

Serve over ice with lime wedges and mint sprigs.

Note: I'm also going to puree/liquify some canned peaches that I picked up and make some of the tea peach flavored.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - farnfam - 05-30-2008

Sounds very nice Meg, 'specially the peachy part
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Silly/Stupid question - Gourmet_Mom - 05-31-2008

Meg, when I make a gallon of sweet tea, I use 2-3 large bags. (Three if I'm going to steep the bags a second time. When the pitcher is half empty after dinner, I add the "reboiled" tea, half a cup of sugar, and more water.)

I've been caught with small bags before and I'm pretty sure I subbed 3-4 small bags for every large one. It depends on how strong you want your tea. With this...based on water to tea ratio, I'd use 4.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - jend - 05-31-2008

Sixteen cups in a gallon, so I would try 16 small bags. Also the Lipton gallon-sized teabags weigh 1.0 ounce/bag, so maybe you can use that as a guide.

Re: Silly/Stupid question - DFen911 - 06-01-2008

I make 'sun tea' all the time. I used 8 - 10 bags for my 1 gallon jar. I put it out around 9am and bring it in around 5. Be sure to start it with cold water, not hot.

Want to add a bit of good flavor? add a slice peach, or drop a handful of smashed cranberries in.